Logo

1971 6hp 6102G Evinrude Outboard motor

johnfspring

We have a problem with inconsistant starting. When it starts, it runs rough and will not idle. Upon removing spark plugs after the engine has cut out, the plugs appear to be slightly wet.
We have:
  1. replaced spark plugs with new ones, set at .030 per repair manual
  2. reset contacts points gap to .020
  3. replaced both condensers with new ones
  4. purchased fresh fuel

All the above have been done, but the runnung condition of the outboard remains the same. We would appreciate some help.

Looking forward to an early reply,
John Spring

Will spark jump a gap of 1/4" with a snap that you can hear.--------------If not than you really have " no spark "--------------Test compression as well.--------How long have you owned this motor ??

You might want to clean and kit the carb,You can also set the plug gap wider .035,As racerone mentions check the spark,Those coils are gettin old and weak spark is no good.

Thank you very much for your suggestions regarding spark testing and i had not thought of testing the compression.
I have only had this motor for about 9 months,so I don't have any reliable history because we only used it twice before this problem occured.

Thank you for your input, I will get to cleaning and re-kitting the carb. I have not tested the strength of the spark yet but I certainly will in the next 24 Hrs.

Back