Logo

Force 125 not getting up to speed

Mikeyac

My son and I just got an 85 bayliner with a force 125 motor which was rebuilt 2 years ago. we have a couple of problems we need help with. 1 It stall out when at low speeds wich make it very difficult to dock. 2. the last couple times out it doesnt seem to wanna get up to speed. Can only get it to about 2000 RPMs (it ran about 4000 at first) Anyone have any idea what our problem may be? FYI, I no NOTHING about motors or how they work...LOL so please be as generic as possible. Thanks in advance for any help.

Before I get into all that I wanted to mention 1 more thing. The RPMs seem ok in reverse. Well, I got them up to 3500 before I began taking on too much water anyways..lol. But wouldnt that suggest the motor is ok? Could my problem be the throttle or throttle cable? just guessing because as I stated earlier I know nothing about motors.

Do as Race asked,a compression/spark test is the first step in diagnosing any problems.Profile??You might be close to someone who can help.
At idle the rpm's should be 750-800,in gear and motor warm.
After the comp test,then start with the fuel system.Replace the fuel pump diaphram and clean the carbs.
Replace ALL the hoses,squeezie too.Check the vent line from the tank.

Back