Logo

Replacing ignition switch

am_dew

Advanced Contributor
I only have one key for my almost 40 year old boat and I have tried getting a copy made without any luck (no luck on finding a suitable blank at local locksmiths) so I am thinking that the easiest thing to do would be to replace the entire ignition switch. Has anyone done that on one of the older circa 70's boats with Volvo engines? Anything special I need to know? I'm thinking I just need to remove the old one and take it to an auto parts store and see if they have a suitable replacement.

Thanks,
Bob

I cannot see why that wouldn't work Bob. If the switch is easy to get at and remove/install, why not give it a try. I don't think that the old ignition switches were complicated. Be sure to label the wires so that you can put things back together if required.

Bob, I've done this more than once for myself and customers....... including replacing all four of mine w/ like keys.

I'd suggest the Cole Hersee Marine version ignition switch.
Simple OFF/Ignition ON/Start...... as we do not want nor require "Accessories" included for a Marine application.

Cole Hersee (or equivilent) will more suitable for the environment, and will offer screw-down terminals, etc.
Order both/all at the same time and specify "Like Keying".
You'll receive two keys per switch.

images

Thanks. My current switch does have an accessory position, which I use when doing things such as lowering the outdrive and checking how much gas is in the tank. Using the simple switch above, how would you do those things without fear of damaging my ignition system because I forgot to turn the key to OFF?

Thanks. My current switch does have an accessory position, which I use when doing things such as lowering the outdrive and checking how much gas is in the tank. Using the simple switch above, how would you do those things without fear of damaging my ignition system because I forgot to turn the key to OFF?
Well, with all respect to you, allow me to punch some holes in that (friendly comments) and allow me to make a few suggestions for the sake of the conversation here!

My thoughts are, that with any O/B 12 vdc system, it requires that we be vigilant with regard to Battery Management.

Ideally we're set up with an MBSS (main battery selector switch)... or two MBSS's if we have twin engines.
This allows us to select which bank we'll be using.
When we are on board and planing to go out.... the MBSS is set to the bank we intend to use.

Accessory circuits are generally supplied outside of any Ignition Key switch source.... at least in my world.
This may include the Trim or Tilt Out system, GPS, VHF, AM/AF Radio, Nav Lights, Anchor Lights, etc.
Meaning that these are independant of any Ignition switch source and/or position.
Many of these items do not actually require ON/OFF key switch operation.
In fact, I prefer to have my GPS, VHF, radio, etc, powered outside of any Key operation......, and then power-down when I choose to.

As for not remembering to turn the key switch back to OFF position..... I think that it's equally important to return to OFF position from either ACC or Ign.
Granted, we do not want to continue powering an ignition system when the engine(s) are not running.
So I agreee with you on that.

Here's are a few suggestions:

Install an LED at the helm indicating when the Key Switch is "ON" Acc mode..... could be green/could be red.
Install an LED at the helm indicating when the Key Switch is "ON" Ign mode.

Install a green LED in your Main 12 vdc breaker panel.
When the MBSS is "ON"..... the Green LED is lit.
My main 12 vdc panel is set up like this..... and it does help me to see that my 12 vdc power is on or off.

If you want to get more complex regarding the Key Switch on/off......, you could install an alarm that sounds when Ignition is ON.
A NC oil pressure switch can pull this out of the loop once the engine starts.
Rather anoying.... but many of the newer engine packages are set like this.

Anyway.... just offering a few suggestions.

Last edited:
Rick, thanks for the friendly suggestions. My boat has just one battery and while I can appreciate and understand having a second battery, the single battery setup in this boat has always served me and my family very well so I am not planning on adding another. Do modern pleasure boats of this type and size typically have multiple batteries? Just curious. As for LED lights to indicate the ignition switch is in the ON position, my boat has simple red "idiot" lights for oil and amp and when the ignition switch is on (but the engine is not running) those light up, so no need to add more lights. I think I'll just find a replacement switch that replicates what I have now and call it a day. :)

Do modern pleasure boats of this type and size typically have multiple batteries? Just curious.
As hull length and size increase, it's pretty common to see two battery bank systems.

Much depends on how far away from a tow one would be, and how important it would be to have 12 vdc power redundancy.
It's rather difficult to rope-start an inboard engine, and even more difficult to push-start one! :D

Typically, we'll have a dedicated "cranking" battery on #1, and a Deep Cycle battery (or multiples) on #2.
Most will keep # 1 in "Reserve" while at anchor or just fooling around w/ engine off.
Lights, radio, etc, are all operating from # 2.
The cranking battery will always be available (in reserve) should the #2 become run down.

For me.... I'd not even consider taking my family out any distance without a redundant battery system.
But if it works, and has been working for you.... who am I to say otherwise!

Have fun and be safe!

In looking at available replacement switches, I'm not sure which I have now...a 3 position or 4 position switch. Right now, the switch has these positions:

OFF
Accessory (left of OFF)
ON (right of OFF)
START (right of ON and spring loaded to return to ON)

So, is this a a 3 or 4 position switch?

Thanks!

Today may have been my lucky day 'cuz I found a locksmith who had a key blank which he thought would work in duplicating my key for the existing switch. $7 later I was out the door with a "guaranteed" duplicate key in my hand...now we'll see if it works.

Well, without getting too fancy you don't really need a key type ignition switch. You need only a toggle switch that will provide juice to the engine and a momentary (push button) switch to operate the starter. To stop the engine you flip the toggle switch to off.

Well, without getting too fancy you don't really need a key type ignition switch. You need only a toggle switch that will provide juice to the engine and a momentary (push button) switch to operate the starter. To stop the engine you flip the toggle switch to off.

Thanks but that's a little too simple. The duplicated key works and so no need for further action. Thanks everyone for your input and suggestions.

Back