Logo

1988 force outboard 125 hp

mikeshow11

hello, i just bought a 1988 bay liner trophy. it has a 1988 force outboard on it 125 hp. i took it out for the first time and it blew the starter, so i put a new one on. and it was turn key. i was out on the boat and the starter was not dis engaging again and when i put the boat in neutral the top of the starter came off, just the bolt, and the washer that holds the spring. i took off the top of the outboard and fished out the washer and bolt and put it back on tight and the motor fired and the starter worked. about three hours later the same thing happened and the bolt was loose again. so anyone ever have this problem, a friend told me that the bolt that was coming loose is supposed to be torked on at the factory so i pulled it out and am going to take it back. just not sure why that happened.

Second question when I hook up the ears after taking the boat out the water runs nice out the bottom. In the middle of the prop there is two little holes and they say power trim or something like that, is water supposed to come out of those in a steady stream, or just little bits hear and there like put put, because air is coming out with minimal water. thanks for the help. this is my first boat.

Should be NO water from the prop.The snout above the prop is where most water comes out.Then about half way up the back of the motor is 2 holes that have water comming out there(pressure relief).
Holes in the prop/power trim??? Pics.
Not sure what your talking about when you say {bolt or tourqe}on the starter.Post some pics of the problem.
The nut on the top of the starter should be a lock nut.So should the mounting nuts.
By all means take it back if it came apart and it's new.

awsome, the two holes im taliking about are about half way up the motor, on the back side, and it just says power trim or something like that. i wont have pics till sun since the boat is not at my house. most all the water runs nice right above the prop, coming out of the two holes is mostly air.

regarding the starter: there is def not a lock not on the top of the starter, just a regular old nut, and it keeps coming loose.

Depends on the amount supplied.Off the hose it won't pump much out the PR.
If the PR is working it takes over at higher speeds.
In the lake/river or ocean it should pump more.

thanks alot man, that gave me some peice of mind. im 25 and this is my first boat, any tips on taking care of my well used motor to make it last

Get a factory manual.Grease gun.Spray lube on the steering arm,grease will just clog it making it harder to steer.
The gear oil make sure there is no water in it.Make sure the drain plug is the right one(manual) that you remove to change the oil.
The worst thing for a boat is not using it.They seem to go to hell just setting there.
Any time you have a question just ask.There are no dumb questions.J

Back