Logo

45 mariner can't keep carbs from clogging or sticking

I have a 45hp 4 cylinder 2 carb Mariner that continually need the carbs taken out and cleaned. It is an older one with the oil tank and it mixes the oil and gas itself. I was told by who I bought it from that that oil system was unreliable so he suggested I mix the gas myself. I don't know if the cabs they are getting dirty or if the needles just get stuck. I have had 3 different guys for a total 5 times and it only lasts from 10 minutes to 2 hours. The last time was the longest and that was running the pontoon 3 times for a total of about 6 hours. I totally cleaned the gas tank with new gas and wiped out the inside. Both carbs have had kits put in. I changed the gas hose and all the fuel lines and filter in the motor. Are there any known problems with this motor. I met someone else at a resort that said he was having similar problems with his. Can anyone help?
Thanks,

Try running sea foam through your system. Just so I follow you, are you pre-mixing AND auto-ixing your oil? You need to choose one or the other. The auto-mix can be disabled. It also sounds like you didnt rebuild the carbs yourself. Do it yourself, soak the carbs overnight, get a can of compressed air like you use on a computer, and make sure every little nook and cranny has been cleaned out.

I have been just premixing my fuel. This last time it ran 6 hours I ran a can of sea foam through it then per 6 gal of gas. I'll try doing the carbs again myself.
Thanks

I soaked the carbs overnight and cleaned them and blew out every part of the carbs. I just got done running the pontoon and one of them stuck again after 35 minutes. I noticed the seats are part of the body of the carbs. They looked smooth enough. I replaced the needles again also. Any other suggestions?
Thanks

I think that your needle valves are bad, they have a rubber tip, I would replace them with ethanol compliant needles. Also run yoiur motor out of gas every time you finsih running it for the day. In less than a week, my needles will stick closed if I don't run the bowls dry.

Back