Logo

Tilt/Trim Motor ?

mbryant

Hi All

I just bought another boat yesterday with a 1978 Johnson "Javelin' 85 HP.
The guy told me the tilt trim motor or pump was bad and didnt work. However he
did give me the unit. I did find out that other things he said didnt work actually
did work and worked well. So what I am asking is since the tilt motor is off the boat
is there a way I can test it without hooking back up to the boat ?
This is actually the first boat I've had that has tilt/trim on it. So I dont wanna hook it
back up just to see if will work if I can try another way first.

Thanks

Btw it has 3 wires , 2 colored ones and a black one..

take the blk wire and put to the neg on the battery, take the blue wire and place it on the pos post of the battery, it should drive up,..remove the blue wire.. now place the green wire to pos.... it should drive down.

Thank you for the reply. I decided to go ahead and try what you mentione and when I hooked up the wire I could
hear the motor spinning both ways. So I decided to hook it all back up to the boat and the lines as well.
Again I used the switch and it worked the motor both directions , however the engine does not move.
So does this mean the pump could be bad ? Or could be low on fluid? If so how do I go about checking the fluid
for it and adding if needed ? This is first time to have this option availble on a boat so its new to me...

Did you install the coupling between the t/t mtr and the oil pump when you put the mtr back on. To check the oil level the t/t has to be in full up position.

Here is a pic of what I have. Im sure Im making this more difficult than it should be and for that I apologize.
The whole motor has 3 wirs and then there is the two place for hydro lines to connect and I connected all of the
stuff that I saw. The pic is before I installed it. Does the little pump have fluid in itself or does it get that from
the engine?

IMG00178-20110718-1006.jpg

There is one. I will check it tonight and see if its gonna work or not. Can I just use ATF or power steering fluid
and be ok ?

Ok I was able to fill it up with fluid and got everything hooked up and the motor just spins it wont move the
engine at all. So I guess this means the pump is bad ?

Yes I did.... After I get off work tonight I'm gonna recheck the fluid again. I filled it up and
tried to operate it but maybe the whole system was completely dry.The pump maybe low again
after circulating some fluid..If I cant get it to work this weekend then next week I guess I'll have
to break down and send to a local shop and see what the problem is.

Back