Logo

new owner needs help

sergiomomesso

So I bought a brand new Bayliner 185 br with a 4.3 A1 inboard Mercruiser. took it out last week twice and had a blast. Took it out yesterday andwent tubing for about an hour and then all of a sudden the motor cuts out and it dies. so I turn the key to the on position ready to crank it over and nothing happens. No beep prior to engine crank and the engine doesnt turn over at all. All of my accessories like the stereo, lights and bilge pump work fine. The shifter is in neutral. The man overboard switch is in the RUN position. All of the fuses in the circuit box are good. The two inline fuses coming off the battery are good. I would like some help before I have to make the 2 1/2 hour drive to my dealer to get warranty work done.

Welcome aboard !

Do not touch it. Will void the warranty.

But you can try to make sure the throttle is in neutral. Wiggle the handle.

Make sure it's in neutral.

Last edited:
So what I forgot to mention was that the battery terminals were hanging on by about 2 threads on both the pos and neg cables. Apparantly with the terminals loose it blew the main power fuse for the alternator which is located in a spot where i couldn't have found it without a wiring diagram. the incompetance of the employee who was supposed to get the boat ready for me cost me a days labor and $100 in gas. And trying to get the dealer to buck up a $100 dollars is like pulling out teeth. The service manager says to me, "if I had to pay for everyone's gas to get here to do service work, I would be broke". My reply was, " your employee cost me money. the boat is less than 2 weeks old. Are you effin kidding me. I wasn't born yesterday." The arrogance in his look and tone was ridiculous. I am a young looking guy for a 32 year old and some people dont take me seriously. I have managed an automotive shop for about 5 years and have an idea how to deal with internal mistakes. Now our family owns 3 hotels and are in the starting phase for a 4th one. So I know a little bit when it comes to the service industry. Obviously he is a money hungry piece of garbage who has stopped caring about the customers years ago. i guess forking out 28 thou doesnt make you a "prefferred customer".

Very typical for a marine business, They never or rarely admit to failure........5 fingered warrenty..........new or used.

Also they can not prove it was not you, not that it was but I can say from experience, Some who purchase boats have absolutly NO clue!!!!
Then again many who repair them dont either.....especially new boat prep.......if not done by a certified mech all bets are off.
One place I worked used yard "monkeys" to do new boat prep, WTF, there were complete hacks and 50 % of the time the boat needed to be double checked by one of us and may issues reworked or corrected.

I also had a Bayliner 185 that I purchaced new in 2005. It was making a winning noise when they took us to the lake to show us how to opperate the boat. I asked the tech about it and he said that was the new outdrive breaking in. Found out it was the power steering pump needed fluid which was in a quart container under the seat. The guy still tried to argue with me.We put 350 hours on that little boat in four years other than maintence never turned a bolt on it. Best little boat I ever owned

Back