Logo

Melted My Ground Wire HELP!!

Conundrum

I have a 97 pursuit offshore with a pair of 454 xli's ran all day pulled in to fuel up after started the port engine then attempted the starboard heard the starter grind for a split second then my engine trouble panel started blinking and I noticed smoke coming from the engine compartment. Opened the hatch and found my starboard battery ground wire was melting. What do i do? Engine was not over heating oil pressure was fine voltage was fine when I pulled in to fuel up. What do I do??

Sounds to me like your ground wire was either loose where it groungs to the engine,or somthing positive came into contact with ground.Before you Replace ground wire and battery,Make sure nothing is coming into contact with ground wire that is positive.Check the amount of voltage of alternator,And have the battery for that engine tested.Let us know.

Agree with Cisco Kid - likely a bad connection on one end or the other of the cable. But you MUST replace the ground wire, don't try to reuse the current one, and make sure all the connections are clean and tight.

Back