Logo

Accidentally put 2 cycle oil in 4 cycle motor oil tank

Do you need a new motor and the wife will not let you buy one until the one you have blows up? Just joking.

How much did you put in? If you only used a 1/4 of a quart and it holds 4 qts then I wouldn't worry but any more than that and I would drain it and replace it with the right oil. It really isn't worth the chance.

I agree, its a whole different animal, get it out if there is an appreciable amount of it in there. Kinda like when I put brake fluid in my wife's power steering. I got as much out as I could but it was never really the same.

Last edited:
I would agree with previous posters- 2 cycle oil is meant to burn in the upper cylinder area to lubricate the engine. It's not meant to be in the crankcase. It woud probably destroy your motor. I would also agree- remove as much as possible, add appropriate 4 stroke oil, run for a few minutes to allow the 2 oils to mix and then drain the oil out and replace again. The 2 oil types are not cross compatible.

2 cycle oil is meant to seperate from the gasoline once through the carburetor.--It then lubricates the precision parts inside the crankcase of the motor !----Some of that oil stays inside the crankcase for quite some time lubricating the parts.---------Some oil ends up in the combustion chamber and goes out with the exhaust ( seen as blue smoke )-------2 stroke oil is not good for a pressure system as found in a 4 stroke motor.

Hey, your service schedule says to change the oil and filter once a year (or every 100 hours, whichever occurs first) - make this into to your annual oil/filter change...

Back