Logo

1963 Evinrude sportwin 10 hsp ( Pull Starter)

jsgoodie

I received this motor from a friend of mine and believe that someone other then a boat mechanic was working on it. Every time i pull the cord it gets stuck going back in or the white tooth inside wont grab until the rope is 1-2' out already. I have taken it of and I see that there are a few different arrows here and there, does anyone know how they should be lined up or for that matter a how to rebuild the pulley. As well when I take the casing off and turn it over the rope comes out and recoils without problems so I really believe it is not lined up right. any help would be greatly appreciated

There is grease on it actually and after doing some more reading there is no way my rope is 72 1/4" long maybe more like 30" will this make a difference in how the white tooth behaves and thanks for your responses.

Thanks again for the response how can you adjust the "pawl" do the arrows on the housing and the arrow on the center circle have much significance

You can not ------nor do you need to adjust the " pawl " ,if it does not engage there is something wrong with the wire thingy or the spindle ---------------The arrows have to do with winding the thing up when installing a new pull cord.------------------So get the correct length rope and clean any grease out of the groove on the spindle.------Maybe replace the wire thing too as someone may have messed with it.

Thanks I will try it, I replaced the rope and cleaned the grease it seams to be a lot better I actually had the motor running for a few minutes however the recoil still seams to get binded up every 1 out of 5 pulls when I first started with this motor the fuel lines were so clogged it took 2 days of soaking in gas and finally have the carb cleaned and functioning. Is there any thing else that should be changed (plugs are changed) on this old motor if it has not been running in 5 plus years. And I live in Ontario Canada any ideas where to get some good parts.

DSCN2412.JPGThe ignition coils are a weak spot on these motors...remove the four screws on the flywheel which hold the inspection plate....remove the plate and you will be able to "eyeball" the coils. If they are cracked, they will need replacement.

Hamilton And thanks I will check out the coils I kind of inherited this motor and I started with the pull cord getting jammed and the gas was so old in it that it was like white powder I had to soak the bowl on the carb for two days just to get the crap out of the line that is casted into the bowl itself. I have started reading through this site as I am a newbie to boat motors ( not small engines though) and Have now gotten this motor to the point it fired ( Quick start assisted) for a few seconds and seen it suck water and spit it out. and then died again. So Anything else that I should be doing to this motor after sitting for so long.

The 63 10 HP is an excellent engine. I used to work on them in the Hamilton area.---------------If you want help with parts I may be able to help .------Send private message if you like.

Go easy on the starting ether....a squirt can of gas/oil mix is a better choice for priming...I believe the mix should be 24 to 1 using tcw 3 oil. The lower unit gear oil should be checked before usage and the water pump will most likely need replacement. If any bolts are frozen, apply heat from a propane torch before using any force.

Thanks I will prime with mixed gas I figured either is not to good for the motor. I will keep trying till I get it going I will let you know, I decided to take the spring housing apart because it seemed to be spitting grease out so I decided to clean the spring housing and today I am going to try to rewind it to where it should be.

Thanks to all had my motor running today and it seamed to fire fine however I am not sure where the lean fast and slow go and when you put the carb back together how far in should you tighten them in I put them in as far as I could then backed it off so that I could still turn it by fingers after tightening the outer part my knobs are missing so I am not sure if they effect the way the motor runs as well after running for a few minutes its like it chokes itself out and dies when I try to play with the throttle. I did have it running long enough to switch gears and it seamed to function good. I think that I am almost there just need to figure out how to adjust the throttle and stuff. Any help would be great.

Thanks for the advice I pulled the cover off after finding bolts that would not break in the gear puller and I swear I found the match to the coil in your picture I could not believe that I had the motor running.

Back