Logo

671 TIB - Heavy Black Smoke

Thanks to everyone for the advice. I'll be working on the elbow this weekend using your tips. Don T - I'll wait to see if you have a source before I order one. Thanks again.

Tapping on the elbow did loosen the rust and a lot of it came out. It cleaned up pretty good and I thought this would work until I could replace it. The problem is while tapping on the outside of the ell a section of the inter wall broke loose leaving a hole about 3" diameter. The inter wall is pretty thin. I'm back to needing a new elbow.
My next problem is trying to separate the intersection (fans) from the turbo housing. It's stuck and will not come apart. I've soaked it with PB Blaster and carb cleaner. J&T told be to beat on the housing with a heavy hammer and it would "pop" off. Tried this with no luck. Any ideas?

No luck on elbows, my guy sold last ones more than a month ago.
My turbos' housings were also corroded. J&T would not accept them as rebuildable cores costing me $ 900 in core credits, plus $55 shipping. I was able to get fans to turn but corrosion on the housing ruined the critical tolerances. Sorry I can't offer any good news, but it sounds like your in for the same bill and work that I ran into.

Don T - Sorry to take so long to get back on this. I appreaciate you trying. Right now I'm looking at a SS ell in FL to verify that it will work for my turbo. I also have someone who said my turbo can be rebuilt. With any luck I'll be back in business in Nov. Everything needs to be verified so there's more to follow....

Thanks again

Back