Logo

89 force 85 hp

eastcoast1

hello ladies and gentlemen I very recently bought a boat for the first time,it's an 89 bayliner 1770 and it came with an 85 horse force,I know very little about boats but alot about quads/dirtbikes/cars/trucks etc,I recently took it out for it's maiden voyage(my maiden voyage the boat has been out before) to test it out,I ran into several problems along the way, first off when I launched the boat and tried to back away from the boat launch it started fine and idled fine but when I trimmed the engine down to submerge it it stalled several times,I figured it needed to be warmed up as 2 strokes can be rather picky sometimes,it put it down far enough to get some water and waited, after few minutes and several tries I was finally succesful at backing away,I turned around and started motoring away,the boat stalled a few times but would start right back up and go again, these things I can contribute to it not being used in 2 years as the previous owners had told me and I had expected a few problems, but what happened next has me baffled, the motor started running better and stalling less but I was only able to get to about half throttle,I ran around the lake like that for about 20 minutes, I then figured it may be the linkages needed to adjusted or something,i tried to look at them but they seemed to be working fine,I took it out again and all of a suddent it opened up to full throttle and I was on my way,this lasted about 10 minutes or so,i stopped to check out the fishing for 20 minutes or so(never got anything) and when I started the boat again it was back to the half throttle thing again but in reverse it seemed to work at full throttle,I was running out of daylight so I loaded the boat up and came back home, today I was working on the trailer it needed new lights and new safety chains but I didn't want to touch the engine til I talked to someone or something,I have to include that the boat did have half a tank of fuel when I bought it,I topped it up to full tank with premium,added carb cleaned and sta bil to it and of course oil,boat seems to work fine at home out of the water with the muffs on revs out etc, just hoping somebody has an answer here for me as to why this motor is doing this, thank you in advance for your help.

First replace the fuel pump diaphram,the squeeze ball and remove any inline connectors.Check the tank vent for clogs.
Do a compression/spark test just for GP.
Stalling at low speeds is probably a low idle.
You really need a manual to do any adjusting.
The idle is set up and down from the towershaft.Find a pats diagram and find that part.It's with the block and head.
Do these things and post your results.J

First replace the fuel pump diaphram,the squeeze ball and remove any inline connectors.Check the tank vent for clogs.
Do a compression/spark test just for GP.
Stalling at low speeds is probably a low idle.
You really need a manual to do any adjusting.
The idle is set up and down from the towershaft.Find a pats diagram and find that part.It's with the block and head.
Do these things and post your results.J

I forgot to add that I changed the plugs (never saw flat plugs before) and changed the leg oil, and the plug wire ends they were coroded and sometimes firing, sometimes not,I switched them to automotive style from that spring thing, the fuel pump ball seems fine it can break? also where can I find the tank vents it's a built in tank? I figured it may be the carbs if it was stored incorrectly the fuel may have gummed up,or maybe the timing was a little off I noticed it moving the coil when fuel was applied.

Moving the coil??? Should have nothing to do with the timing.Somethings loose???
The tank vent is usually at the rear of the boat(sometimes not)look around.
By all means clean the carbs.Ethanol is messing up older hoses and can cause soft/mushy and the hose can collapse.J

Moving the coil??? Should have nothing to do with the timing.Somethings loose???
The tank vent is usually at the rear of the boat(sometimes not)look around.
By all means clean the carbs.Ethanol is messing up older hoses and can cause soft/mushy and the hose can collapse.J

I have something to do at the moment but should be home in about an hour or so, I guess I will take a look at any gas tank vents, check out the bulb and do a thorough cleaning of the carbs when I get back, doesn't make sence really but like I said I don't know much about boat's or boat motors so it's worth a shot.il get back to you guys later if it worked or not.

How many pumps?Might take a while to pump up from the tank.Can you hear the fuel in the bulb?The bulb should get hard.Then go soft after you start.Either a bad bulb(new bulbs can be bad) or a fuel pump diaphram.Maybe the carb needles are stuck.I'd check the pump first.J

alright I think I found the culprit I have no spark on cylinder #1, it's not the plug beause when I move the plug it works, amd when I moved the other plugs they didn't work their either, I didn't have too much time to diagnose it either because he flys were out for blood, is there a way to fix this I guess it's the coil pack? or do I need a new coil pack altogether?

FIRST!!! Do a compression test.Might be as simple as a blown head gasket or a bad pack.
Check comp then spark then fuel.Post the results.J

alright that fire is out got a new(used) coil and I have spark on #1 again, another question though I changed the leg oil before I went out last time,when I checked it it has water in it,I changed it again, the washers for the screws look pretty worn out and flat would that be the problem or something more serious.

Fiber washers or plastic?Pics?The washers unless they are missing won't let in a lot of water.You need to pressure test the lower.
It could be the drain plug.Did you seal it?Or use anything on it?
If you don't have a tester.Be real careful with putting air into the lower.You can blow the good seals.Most pressure you should use is 10-13#.
Drain it,remove it and add air to the drain hole and see if you can hear it leak.Then maybe a water hose if you can't see the leak.

Fiber washers or plastic?Pics?The washers unless they are missing won't let in a lot of water.You need to pressure test the lower.
It could be the drain plug.Did you seal it?Or use anything on it?
If you don't have a tester.Be real careful with putting air into the lower.You can blow the good seals.Most pressure you should use is 10-13#.
Drain it,remove it and add air to the drain hole and see if you can hear it leak.Then maybe a water hose if you can't see the leak.

seems to be rubber washers to me, they look dried out and cracked up to me, when I changed it last time there wasn't much oil in there and there was a bit of water, this time the oil was a light brownish colour it obviusly has some water in it, the oil still seemed good and smelled like gear oil and it wasn't missing any oil,im wondering how much oil it would take to turn the oil light brown?, it only takes .78 litres of oil and if there was some condensation in there that may be it, the impellor seems to work great and I have good water flow, I am worried about water getting in somehow maybe a bad seal?

Anytime the oil changes color it getting TOO much water in.
Not enough condensation in the lower to change the color.
It's getting water in somewhere.
Do the checks like I posted.Or change it EVERY time you go out(you'll tire of that quick).
The water and oil seperate after time.The brownish would eventually seperate.
A bit of water by the drain seal usually means the plug wasn't seal'd right.
More than likley the shift shaft is leaking or possiblt one of the shafts.J

Back