Logo

remote shift? tohatsu 20 hp four stroke electric start

skloak

i was wanting to get my shift, start and kill up to the middle of the boat. tiller steer is fine w/ me. i was wondering, first of all, if i were to find an old control box to use as the shifter, would that work? as to the start and kill switches, was thinking of running wiring up to two push swiches, i guess they are interrupter switches? dont know really, not very knowledgable about wiring. obviously, don't want to mess anything up in the wiring!! do you think these things are possible. i do have electric strart on my 20 hp. i guess its even possible to wire the switches into the control box start switch and kill switch. just lookin for an efficiant way of doing this. i would not even mind just going all the way w remote steering and all, its just a lot of doe!!! thanks in advance for your replies. skloak

Steve, Any control that uses standard Morse-type cables will work to control just the shifting and throttle. Keep in mind that some brands/models of boxes are pull for throttle, and some are push for throttle (and the same is true for shift)... so if building a "customized" or "Frankenstein" setup, you could accidentally end up with a control that you shift into "reverse" to go forward, and likewise, it could unintentionally operate to WOT when the control is centered, instead of idle when the lever is centered. As for start and kill switches... it would be possible to use two good momentary-contact switches (think doorbell button or horn button) for start and kill.

Regardless, you will also need a set of 2 control cables (about $50.00 each depending on quality and length), and the 3BJQ838802, R C FITTING PARTS (F9.9/15/18B-15/20C), $135.20 at the motor end (with the brackets and cable clevis connectors, etc.)

However, the correct way to do it is with an actual Factory RC box, which includes a key switch for stop/start/run/choke. There are 2 different control boxes available, depending on whether you need power tilt/trim: 3ACQ843300 REMOTE CONTROL BOX (RC5A) MFS8-30B w/PTT $393.47 or 3B7Q843403 RC BOX, RC5B (MFS-15/18B2-15/20C-25B/30B EP) W/O PTT, AMB $464.58. Interesting that the PTT version box is cheaper. If going with the factory box, I would be tempted to get the PTT model, and if PTT isn't needed, just don't connect those wires.

Paul,
I am interested in the same conversion for a 25 with PTT. Besides the box and cables, wires, are there more parts at the engine end of things needed when the tiller is removed?
Thanks
Josh

Depends on exact model. You will need the RC fitting kit, and if a 25B, the extension cable for the ECU.

Back