Logo

Mercruiser 3.0 won't start

We went out yesterday and I noticed a little bit of oil on the bilge, but didn't pay it no mind.

I checked all levels and they were fine.

Were on way. The boat was running good allround

All of the sudden the engine died out and it seemed that the power went out, be use my engine wouldn't crank. The VHF, gps and radio were working. The tow service came and tried to jump start but no luck.

Today, I went to get new batteries but no luck. It cranked several times, but didn't start, after several cranks, it stopped cranking and couldn't get it to crank again. Tested the battery it read 12.79. So it seems fine.

If started got fried would it cause me to die out while in motion?

If started got fried would it cause me to die out while in motion?

Don't think so. What year is the engine? Look at the cap and rotor to see if they need replaced. Does it have a points ignition? Are the battery cables/connections clean on both ends? Is there spark at the plugs? Is it getting fuel? Is it time for a tuneup?

Don't think so. What year is the engine? Look at the cap and rotor to see if they need replaced. Does it have a points ignition? Are the battery cables/connections clean on both ends? Is there spark at the plugs? Is it getting fuel? Is it time for a tuneup?

The engine is 2001. What's strange is that it cranked several times but it stopped, the spark plugs were replaced last week, I think one of the valves is low on compression, but don't understand why it won't start or the stArter crank

no, because the actual shifing in done in the lower unit by the prop shaft. everything is turning with the engine. shift into fwd gear, verify the shift shoe is in a straight line, remove rams and 6 nuts, pull straight back and off.
check oil level at the top screw,should be at the threads.
remove bottom screw and drain checking for silver oil, no oil, water,metal fragments.slightly more than a qt should come out

untitled-1.jpg

all you need is put a water hose into the water inlet on the housing. washing machine hose cut in half works nicely.

remove the 4 top cover cap bolts 3/8ths or 7/16ths 12 point socket and look inside. oil level should be by the yellow line marked A in the pic.
if it is siezed, www.sterndrive.cc SE106 1.98 ratio, approx $1200 USD

Were is the correct oil level if it's ok and not seized. What I'm trying to get at is how would I know if it's seized or not. Will it not turn?

Did you check the simple stuff yet? Is there a safety lanyard that maybe came loose or disconnected? I had a similar problem last year.... drove myself crazy checking and changing everything....then bought a new lanyard for $5...problem solved.

Back