Logo

overfill velvet drive 5000 transmission?

scott_duerring

Regular Contributor
Posted this on the transmission forum but got no response so while I know not a crusader question, I am kinda desperate for an answer as we are heading out for a three day boating trip tomorrow. I mistakenly put about roughly a quarter of a quart of fluid too much in my velvet drive transmission. The dipstick is emblazoned with the warning "DO NOT OVER FILL" but in checking several forums it seems that as long as there is not a gross overfill there is nothing to worry about as the excess will be pushed out the vent in the top of the case. Do I need to pump some out or not?

You are checking the dipstick within 20 seconds of engine stop? I don't know if 8oz would matter, but if it's high, i'd suck it out using a vacuum pump. You don't want either the rotating parts causing foaming or leaking out the vent in a boat. Ether is more risky than taking out that extra pint.

2X DD's thoughts!

My two cents says the fluid coming out of the vent is nothing but a potential high-dollar fine opportunity that you'd be best to avoid. The foamed fluid has two big risks - loss of cooling and reduced lubrication; neither being a desirable state.

The volume of fluid required to reach the 'full mark' will vary with the specific installation. there is a tolerance built in but i can't comment further for a 5000 series drive due to LOFHE.

In a ipinch you can use a turkey baster to suck out some of the excess fluid. But like DD says you need to check the level quickly after shutting off the engines to make sure you are checking the level in the reservoir before the lines drain back. Once you know the true FULL mark, you can remark the dip stick with the cold shutdown level.

Well, seems like a moot point, I got a small hand pump to pump out the excess and cannot get the little tube down the dipstick hole. it goes in about two inches and then seems to get stuck on some kind of gasket, I cannot see in there but it is hitting a soft something or other. Could not get a drop out of them. Is there any other way other than through the dipstick? Ran them for six hours, ran great, pulled the sticks to take a look at the fluid to see if getting hot or looking foamy, but the fluid looks fine. So maybe a little overfill is tolerable.

This may help. I wanted to fill a gap in the deck hatch and due to the samll hole, I was limited on how to get Gluevit into the crevice. I got my girlfriends turkey baster, it is like a syringe, a long big needle and a 3 ounce tube. I was able to inject the gluevit into the crevice with no problems. I remember she purchased 2 of these at Walmart.

Why not warn the engine and check the fliud level while its running? I would think running to check with in 30 seconds of shut off is becasue fluid will run back down...why not keep it running and then check, like a car tranmission?

Update - Spoke to a qualified Velvet Transmission installer and repair. A person must shut the engine off, run to the trans and check the fluid level with in 15 seconds.

Update - Spoke to a qualified Velvet Transmission installer and repair. A person must shut the engine off, run to the trans and check the fluid level with in 15 seconds.

Once you know the proper warm level per the above procedure, let the fluid drain down for several minutes and note (maybe even put your own mark on the dipstick) what the new higher level is for future reference, and easier checking.

Back