Logo

1984 mercruiser Gas flow 120 merc carb

gobradavich

I have a 120 mercruiser with a merc carb on it. I put in an electronic fuel pump on it and the float wont seem to seat gas just keeps flowing inthe carb through the overflowat the top of the carb. Is there to much pressure from this pump or do I have float issues? It worked at first then it was getting no gas now it wont stop getting gas is the float getting hung up on something. Anyone got any ideas?

untill you test the pump pressure 4-6 lbs could be the wrong pump (too high of pressure) or a faulty needle and/or seat.

The fuel pump is 4-7 psi tried springed seat and solid seat both do the same thing. It worked at first then it wasnt getting gas now it just floods in. I still am thinking its the seat. Dont really think 1 lb of pressure would make that much of a difference do you?

I would think that you have issues with float,needle and or seat if in fact you are getting 4-7 pounds of fuel pressure. I have a mechanical pump on my old boat and was going to do the same as you but was afraid of problems like this occuring. Are you sure you adjusted the float to the right height in the fuel bowl? Some kits give you gauges for measuring float setting and the like. good luck, Tom

yes i do. one pound is enough to put the kabosh on ya.

But lets look at the float.

Is it still floating? Got gas in it ?

Shake it by your ear. put it under water see bubbles?

The float height correct ?

The tounge holding the float tight when you installed the roll pin you maybe have it pressed in on the float.

Finally the float hanging up or down really.

Did you try hitting with the wood handle of a hammer tapping the carb lower when this happens to see if you can free up the float.

Don't hit it like a cheating wife use the bottom of the hammer tapping on the carb will sometimes free up the float.

Back