Logo

1983 2 HP Johnson not pumping water, please help

code1p36

Regular Contributor
I have a 1983 Johnson 2 HP that runs great but does not pump any water. The head got too hot to touch so I shut it off. I took off the lower unit and the impeller was in good shape with no cracks, the water pump was in good shape too and was not plugged. I put it all back together making sure the water tube was in the water pump. Still doesn't pump water so I pulled the powerhead off and made sure the water tube was not plugged at it was not. I blew air through the intake and it came out another hole which is where the water exits. The seal was in good shape and nothing being plugged from what I could see. I run it in a bucket with the water level being about 3 inches above the water pump.

Any ideas of what is going on?

Thanks.

There does not seem to be any air restriction when I blow air from the inlet through to the outlet when I have the powerhead off. Is it still necessary to check head gasket? If so is it the plate on the side of the block with five bolts? Thanks.

Use a cordless electric drill...Chuck up the driveshaft...submerge the lower unit in a bucket and see if the pump is working...if you want to do it without getting wet, use a piece of copper tubing with a hose attatched to divert the water...the drill should turn clockwise.

Back