Logo

High Idle 98 tracker 50 hp yamaha power head

David Foti

Hi Folks,
I have a 98 tracker (made by mercury) 50 hp yamaha power head
the motor had a really rough idle so I cleaned the carbs and solved that issue but the engine everytime after it warms up when I put the engine into neutral it will race up to over 2k and stay there.
So I've checked timing the head was removed at one time but it was installed correctly , checked compression 150 + all four , checked coil and trigger resisitance good , so I put a timing light on the engine actually and it is around zero at adle I then let it run in gear for a few minutes put it in nuetral teh timing was around zero for a second or two then went to 20 + degrees advanced like it was wot timing ??
the only thing I can figure at this time is a bad cdi but I'm asking for input ??
thanks in advance

oh btw the controls are not binding or hanging up

so its fine if I never have to put teh boat into neutral but thats wish ful thinkning while dockinig
and the idle is fine when I first start the boat if teh engine is cold :confused:

At idle it should be retarded and should be a few degrees ATDC. At higher RPM it should be advanced and could go up to 25 degrees BTDC. You need to get a manual and re-adjust your timing.

Thanks Vinh , actually I did check the timimg had teh flywheel off and it was installed correctly kinda hard not to anyway the timing is a few degrees atdc at idle , but after the motor is warm and then I go from any position forward to neutral it will idle fine for a second and then race up to over 2k and the I verified the timing change with a timing light when this happened .
But thanks for the degree numbers I wasn't sure if at wot was atdc or btdc . Actually my Son an engineer for dehpi was helping me and doing the timing light couple weeks ago , he had to goto China till labor day to work on some new car in china he does programmign for ECU for most manufacturers.
A bit more info, before i cleaned the carbs I would put the unit at a very high idle pushing the button so its in neutral due to it was hard to start without doing that , it would run rough and then after about 5-7 minutes aftert teh motor warmed up it would race up 2-3 times the rpm where it was , i thought I was confusing the cdi by starting at such a high idle but it does the same thing when I start it now at idle .
The motor was installed by a dealer and it was used but I'm starting to wonder if one of the temp sensors may be connected to a wrong cdi lead ?? just guessing at this time

Wait did you say you removed the flywheel? Did you torque the flywheel down per spec? Do me a big favor remove the #1 spark plug and turn the crank until it's all the way to the top. Then check your timing mark on the flywheel and the timing plate. Make sure they are both still align. If both marks are not align then remove your flywheel and replace the flywheel key. I just helped a friend solved this issue on his outboard. He removed the flywheel to do some cleaning and when he put it back he didn't torque it down properly. On the first crank it started up fine. After a few crank it chewed the key right off and the timing was off. GL

Back