Logo

NSF18B2 shifting issues

Hickory Dog

Hi all - new here, since I have never had any issues with my motor.
Toward the end of last season the motor became hard to shift out of forward requiring much jiggling and wiggling to get into neutral and would not go in reverse at all. Shifter rod looks bent to me and I am planning on replacing it and the shift lever as it looks like I have stressed it as well.
My question is if there is an underlying issue I need to deal with so I don't just bend the new one.
Lower unit oil looks clean and I can grab the external rod parallel to the shaft and assist it to get the thing to go into neutral and it will shift it in to forward on its own but reverse isn't happening even with assist.
Thanks for any input!

e19b1fc3.jpg

Looks bent to me - sorry for the crappy photo

Yes, it's bent. I have straightened them, BTW. Too much effort to shift. Either the LU is out of oil (unlikely, as you would have other issues), or there may be a problem at the intermediate shift lever shaft. Might need to be lubed. Or... I had one where the shift rod coupler was jammed due to a collision. Had to fix other broken mechanical parts befor the shift coupler was clear from obstruction. Keep in mind that you can only shift when the motor is running. Shifting moves a wedge cam in the LU. Pulling up (extracting the wedge) goes towards F, down towards R. The wedge pushes the push rod in the prop shaft assembly when going into R. Grab your Factory service manual, available from any dealer (including me), and diagnose the problem.

Also, trying to shift the engine while it is not running will bend it.

A distinct possibility as others have used it and probably didn't know that - thanks for the help - I don't have a dealer close by, do you want to ship me parts? I'd gladly give the sale to you if you are interested, I need the rod, a shift lever, might as well
replace the bolt that holds it in, and one of those manuals!

Back