Logo

idle setting how do you do it on a 90hp 1996

I need to increase my idle speed on my 90 hp 1996. It is running about 300 in neutral and only about 600 at idle.

So I want to increase it to 550 in neutral and about 900 to 1000 at idle.

Can anyone tell me how and where the adjustments are located?

your numbers appear to be wrong.-----------In nuetral it should run at about 800 RPM and when you put in in gear ( load on the engine ) it should run at about 650 RPM.--------Clarify your numbers !

Adjustments of idle rpm is normally done by advancing idle timing.
On the 60 degree, move the Low tab towards '+'.
On the old cross engines, the idle screw on the arm.

Adjustments of idle rpm is normally done by advancing idle timing.
On the 60 degree, move the Low tab towards '+'.
On the old cross engines, the idle screw on the arm.

Thank you but could you tell me how this is done. Not sure how to advance the timing I know how to on a car but not sure on the outboard. This is a 1996 model 90 hp I would say a v 4 with two plugs on either side. If possible e mail me the method at [email protected] Thank you

your numbers appear to be wrong.-----------In nuetral it should run at about 800 RPM and when you put in in gear ( load on the engine ) it should run at about 650 RPM.--------Clarify your numbers !

Yes you are right, now I have to figure out how to advance the timing. I know how to do it on cars but not on a outboard. If possible could you e mail me at [email protected] with detail instructions. Thank you for the help. Dan

There should be a screw / idle stop on a throttle arm.-------------Have someone operate the control while you look at the throttle mechanism.--------It should be easy to adjust the idle stop to give a little more RPM-------------The concern is why do you suddenly have to do this ???------------Might be worth doing a compression test.

There should be a screw / idle stop on a throttle arm.-------------Have someone operate the control while you look at the throttle mechanism.--------It should be easy to adjust the idle stop to give a little more RPM-------------The concern is why do you suddenly have to do this ???------------Might be worth doing a compression test.
thank you, I put new champion plugs in yesterday ql774jc gap 35. The old ones looked very wet with oil. My partners I believed over oiled the gas. I will try the screw setting.

Not correct. Never use the idle stop screw to adjust idle speed. Engine will not idle right.
You must ensure the throttle butterflies are completely closed at idle, and then use the timing adjustment under the stbd front flywheel area to set the speed.

EDIT:

Just looked up your engine and see optical ignition. Haffiman is correct regarding the methid ofr setting timing on an optical.

Last edited:
Not correct. Never use the idle stop screw to adjust idle speed. Engine will not idle right.
You must ensure the throttle butterflies are completely closed at idle, and then use the timing adjustment under the stbd front flywheel area to set the speed.

Just looked up your engine and see optical ignition. Haffiman is correct regarding the methid ofr setting timing on an optical.
Thank you I did not think that was the best method. I am attempting to down load the manual from the public library to check more on this issue. I have to find that setting you are talking about is it a screw head of a nut like on cars?

Back