Logo

Not wanting to shiftinto gear after lower unit fluid change

dwhite0829

I just bought an 89 procraft with a 115 Mariner. It ran great on the test drive. Put it through quite a bit to test it. Ran great. I got it home, changed the lower unit fluid since I didn't know when the last time it was changed was, thought it would be a good idea.

Took it to the lake a couple hours later. Started up great. shifted into reverse and it acted like it didn't want to go. Got it off the trailer and it felt like it didn't want to move when shifted into forward. I let it sit running for a couple minutes and it finally started to do better. About 5 minutes later it ran great again. Just like it did on the test run. Is it normal for it to act this way right after a fluid change? Maybe I didn't let the fluid sit in there for long enough or something? Maybe to much fluid? I gave it about a an extra pump and a half before putting the drain plug back in to cover for whatever leaked out while replaceing the plug.

Anybody think I should worry since it ran great after that or do you think I have a lower unit problems?​

Changing the fluid will not affect the shifting.-----------------------You did fill from the bottom till the fluid came out the top -- I hope.

My suggestion on this would be to look at the cable- may just need adjusted or may be bad. I just had the same issue with my 1999- it would shift into reverse fine but it was hit and miss on forward- had to get towed in. Took it in and they had to replace the cable- works fine now.

Back