Logo

2011 Mercury 9.9hp 4 Stroke problems!!!

tigerjohn

Still fairly new to outboards so please bear with me. Just purchased a new Mercury 4 Sroke 9.9 hp Model #1f10201fk. First time out was for about 15min. Followed break in procedures to the tee. Ran fine. About aweek later would not start. Took back to dealer and they said carbs were very finicky due EPA requirements. He said he made a Mercury authorized change to jets. Took out a 3rd time ran great, followed breakin procedure. Total Hrs appx 2-2 1/2. Took out today following breakin procedures. Decided to troll for eyes. After about 15min RED oil pressure light came on. Was trolling as slow as possible. Gave it some throttle but bogged down. Being not too far from dock I shut it off and rowed back. Under warranty but this is becoming BS fast. Going back to service tomorrow. Any thoughts or opinions on these motors would be greatly appreciated. P.S. Mechanic said it is normal for that Oil Pressure Light to be lit. Manual says not thats why I shut if off and rowed. ANY THOUGHTS? Almost to point of returning motor! THANKS!

Not normal to get an oil light. Carb shouldn't have issues at under 5 hours.

I'm not a big fan of 4 strokes to start with and really not a fan of the small ones - so while my opinion is somewhat biased, I would at least ask for a replacement. Sounds like this one has issues beyond the "normal" 4 stroke quirks.

If you are deadset on owning a 4 stroke in this horsepower range I would personally go the extra bucks and get a Honda, they really are the best in the business.

Your "Merc" is really a Tohatsu (that's who built it to their "own" specs) - so you could repaint it as a Tohatsu or a Nissan and there would be no difference. Merc just sells for less than either of the other two brands because they buy them in bulk.

And secondly, I would find a new mechanic - if he thinks an oil light is ok I wouldn't want him working on my motor.

Graham thanks. Was hoping to stay with 4 stroke. Being from Detroit Japanese products were never high on my list so you can imagine my dismay when i found that sneaky little made in Japan label on this Mercury. Always thought they were from Wisc. Honda might be worth alook. Gotta feelin Mercury will make return a pain. thanks again.

Unless you are running at altitude there is no jet change on that model. Your dealer probably altered the fixed air mixture because they do not know how to correctly clean a carburetor and if the oil light does not go back off you have an oil pressure problem, a sensor problem or a CD module problem. Regardless, change dealers immediately.

Back