Logo

Sick 2005 hpdi 250

cajunfuse

I am having serious trouble with my '05 250 HPDI. Due to the oil spill in the Gulf last spring and summer I was not able to run my boat. Therefore it has been about 18 months since I put the boat in the water.
I did start the motor occassionaly with muffs, but no fishing.

I had 60 gallons of fuel in the tank with ring free and stabil. This past weekend I topped off the tank with 20 gallons of non-ethanol fuel, ring free and yamaha stabilizer. Started out to go fishing and motor idled fine but started hesitating after approx. 1/2 mile of running. Came back to dock and changed the canister fuel filter. Went back out with same results.

Put boat back on trailer. Mechanic looked at engine today, changed filters on engine which he claimed had a white residue, caused by water and the rubber was not pliable. He then put the boat in the water and said it ran fine until he opened it up. He is now telling me the fuel pump will need to be changed. He says I can run it like it is but the pump will fail or ruin the engine.

I asked him to test the fuel to make sure it is good and if maybe that could be the problem.

Any thoughts from you guys. The fuel pump is a $ 700 hit.

How about the screen in the vst which that fuel pump has to pull fuel through. Check the fuel pressure at the test port out of the vst. You may also have to get the screens in the HP pump replaced. Not many shops work on that pump. Flagship Marine in FL works on those.

Problem solved. Changed fuel pump in VST tank and all is good. The pump was corroded and impeller was dragging.
All filters on engine changed except those at injectors. Engine running fine now at WOT.

Back