Logo

Nissan NS 50D2 Trim/Tilt motor

jtbooch

I was recently informed that I need a new tilt/trim motor. Does anyone know the exact replacement part number for a 1998-99 NS 50D2 Trim/Tilt motor? I have looked online (ebay and other sites) and want to make sure I am getting the correct tilt/trim motor to replace the one that just burnt out on me. Also, do you happen to know any sites where the motor may be available to buy online?

Also, is replacing the tilt/trim motor a DIY job or should I have a pro take care of it? I am by no means an expert, but have changed the starter, installed new solenoids and ran new battery cables on this unit and was wondering if I'd be in over my head with this project.

There is an early and a late tilt/trim unit for the 50D2. If your serial number is 030294 or above, your motor should attach with 4 bolts, and the part you need is 3E5771800M MOTOR, POWER TRIM & TLT $397.10. If your serial is 025501 or below, you would order 3C8771800M MOTOR ASSY (3-BOLTS) $530.93. The motor is in stock at the US warehouse, and is available from any dealer, including me (we're as close as your UPS truck). If you have basic mechanical ability and decent tools, you can swap it out yourself.

There is an early and a late tilt/trim unit for the 50D2. If your serial number is 030294 or above, your motor should attach with 4 bolts, and the part you need is 3E5771800M MOTOR, POWER TRIM & TLT $397.10. If your serial is 025501 or below, you would order 3C8771800M MOTOR ASSY (3-BOLTS) $530.93. The motor is in stock at the US warehouse, and is available from any dealer, including me (we're as close as your UPS truck). If you have basic mechanical ability and decent tools, you can swap it out yourself.

I'll have to double check the serial number but I believe I'll be needing the 3-bolt motor. Are there any other after market motors available that may be a little less expensive? I checked a few sites and found a "Sierra 18-6786 Tilt Trim Motor Nissan Tohatsu". The Description reads:
"3 bolt flange 2 wire connection. Replaces: OEM Suzuki# 38100 87D10 0ED, 38100 87D10 35J, 38100 87D10 0IT. for V4 V6 1990 up. OEM Nissan/Tohatsu# 40 50 hp, 2 wire hook up 3 bolt flange."

unnamed.jpgWould this motor be an acceptable replacement?

ok, I just got the new tilt/trim motor and am going to attempt to replace the old one myself. Does anyone have any pointers as to the process of doing this? Are there any online resources or guides available? Any help is appreciated. Thanks

It's a pretty straightforward job. Of course, I would recommend the Factory service manual, available from any dealer (including me). It's copyrighted, so no online versions are available. Did you get a cheapie aftermarket motor, or the real Tohatsu part?

It's a pretty straightforward job. Of course, I would recommend the Factory service manual, available from any dealer (including me). It's copyrighted, so no online versions are available. Did you get a cheapie aftermarket motor, or the real Tohatsu part?

I went with the real Tohatsu part. Hope to give it a shot soon. Thanks

Hi. New to the forum. I have the same problem and am going to repair or replace my tilt motor. One question though. My manual release valve it really stuck and no amount of penitrating oil etc has worked so far. The motor is in the most upright position so I can get at the tilt motor. Can I remove the tilt motor with the ram rod at it's most extended position. I would of course block the lower unit so it does not fall back down first.

Thanks Paul. My 50d2 is on a McGregor Sailboat so taking the boat out of the water is quite the process. Reason I need the tilt is because here in Lake Erie we have a zebra muscle problem. By the end of the season they get into the water intake and impede the water flow for cooling the motor. Thankfully I just use it to get out of the harbor then go under sail so I should be OK.
Anyway I have a good battery, good relays so I have worked my problem back to the tilt motor. Now for what my problem is. Tilting the motor up, no problem. Tilting down is sometimes intermittent. It either works or I just get the relay clicking. If I tap the switch (tilt up ) a few times then the motor kicks in when tilting down. So my limited thinking is that the wires to the tilt motor are OK. So I am thinking it must be the brushes. I am guessing that one of the brushes makes contact when the motor is turning say clockwise, but anticlockwise it might not be enough contact until the motor is bumped a few times and knocks the brush loose enough to make good contact again. It's the only thing I can think of. Since I will just be leaving the motor tilted down for the rest of the season it will be a fall job to rectify the situation. I have the old tilt motor with the 3 bolts. Looking at pictures on the internet it seems like it is a sealed unit. My question after 2 paragraphs is whether or not this motor can be rebuilt or do I have to just replace it.
Again thanks for the advice.

Odds are you have a flaky relay. The relays just reverse polarity to the motor. I have had auto electric shops rebuild the motors when seals failed and water got in and corroded everything. Surprisingly affordable.

I am near Buffalo NY, so am familiar with the Great Lakes zebra mussel issue. Yeah, best to tilt up every day.

Back