Logo

Toyota Outboard Warranty

Cat Ballou

Hi Chaps
Just bought a 20 HP 4 stroke with electrics and power tilt to power my sailing cat and very disappointed that the dealer has said that the warranty is void unless the servicing is carried out by a Tohatsu certified dealer. As over the 5 years of the warranty this would amount to about £1000 ($1600) more than the cost of oil, filters impellers etc this is not good for a retiree, boating on a low budget. I also have always maintained my cars, boat main and outboard engines with the satsifaction of knowing that thing have been done.
I am not sure whether under sale of goods acts (uk but the US must have similar consumer protection laws) the goods have to be fit for purpose and the dealer should not be able to wriggle out of a claim under warranty if there is a manufacturing defect. Interesting that I have not been supplied by any sort of Warranty Statement (covering what was and was not covered by the warranty) by the dealer, just a service record card, PDI Checklist and Owners Manual.
I also read on a boating site that Tohatsu Motors were imported very cheaply into Australia, without factory warranties and any warranty work was picked up solely by local dealers. The UK Tohatsu Importer has also been very vague about my query about the warranty and did not confirm that that I should or should not have been supplied with a Warranty Statement.
Only done about 5 hours so far with it but very pleased. Due to family illness the engine is 5 months old now and I am not sure whether the 10 hours/2 months for the first service may have me timed out of the warranty anyway.

Any ideas on this-can I do my own servicing, keeping records of filters, oil purchased and photos of servicing and have a hope of getting a warranty repair done if required or am I hopelessly optimistic?

My previous engine, a 30HP Tohatsu 2 stroke ran without missing a beat for 7 seasons on a cruising sailing boat and only replaced as the 4 stroke is more economical on fuel (some parts of the UK petrol is hard to get at the harbour side apart from the cost) and the noise level is so much better if having to motor for 10 hours due to lack of wind to sail! My tender outboard a 3.5 2 stroker has done 8 seasons and apart from a broken fuel tap has performed without fault so I am impressed with Tohatsu quality of build.and reliability so far.

thanks in anticipation of some wise words

In the US, no dealer (of any brand) would/could require their services and routine maintenance supplies unless they gave them to you for free. That even includes oil. If they require it, it has to be provided for free. What is a Toyota outboard? Never knew they made one. In the US, the Tohatsu/Nissan OB warranty is 3 years. We have extremely low occurrences of warranty repairs, as the motors are very well built.

Last edited:
Hi Paul thanks for response-yes Tohatsu Outboard, car is a Toyota-having a senior moment!

The USA position is encouraging-I obviously need to get some legal consumer advice in uk. I am probably worrying about something unlikely to happen as I think Tohatsu's are well built.
Keith

"Tohatsu Motors were imported very cheaply into Australia, without factory warranties and any warranty work was picked up solely by local dealers."

The Tohatsu distributor for Australia backs the warranty through their dealers. Tohatsu is not really part of the equation there.

Back