Logo

BF15A engine not charging batteries

chestnutree

Hi All, First post here.
I have a Honda BF15A built in 1998.
After purchasing my boat it was running fine and charging the batteries. This weekend the batteries went flat because the engine is no longer charging them (Lucky I have the rope to pull start the engine!). Both of the batteries are brand new so I’m quite sure that both of these haven't had it.
I ran the engine and used a volt meter on the 2 cables that come from the engine to charge the batteries. this was giving a 0V reading. I took the cover off of the engine and it all looked in good condition. I didn't see any loose wires. I managed to find 1 fuse which was also fine and hasn't blown.
I'm a novice with engines but I’m happy to get my hands dirty if anyone can spoon feed me in trying to resolve the issue?
Many thanks in advance,
Nick

Sorry, for clairification - The cables were still connected to the batteries. I touched the prongs from the tester onto the cable where they come from the motor to join onto the circuit going to the batteries.

If the motor has been run ( in the past )with the wires loose and not connected to the battery there is a chance that the rectifier was damaged.

Sorry , I was not aware of that.--------Test rectifier / regulator and test coils under the flywheel.-----------If coils under flywheel are good then replace rectifier / regulator.

Sorry but i don't know a great deal about the engine parts. Do you have a picture or are you able to describe where these cables are that i should be testing? Where/what is the rectifier and other parts you mentioned please?

Is it safe to run without the cover on?

All is working fine :)

I took the batteries off and charged them at home. Hooked them back up and started the engine.

When i revved the engine the volt meter on the dash shot up which shows there is further charge going into the batteries. It looks like these little engines just struggle to put any charge into a completely flat battery.

Back