Logo

25hp evinrude 73

fishingfishpoo

been working on a different motor for old whaler. compression good. starts easy. revs up in 55gallon barrel in gear with cowl off but when i put the cowl on it just bogs and wont rev. anybody had this one before

I would be willing to say that with the cover on it is just sucking exhaust into the cowling.---------Take a look at where the air comes into the motor on the lower cowling.------------------Put it on a moving boat and likely you are good to go.

been working on a different motor for old whaler. compression good. starts easy. revs up in 55gallon barrel in gear with cowl off but when i put the cowl on it just bogs and wont rev. anybody had this one before

Put your nose down to the top of that barrel and you will see why the motor bogs. You won't be able to get a fresh breath, and neither can the motor. It is breathing it's own exhaust.

Shouldn't do that. Sounds like a leak in the exhaust as it enters the leg. Did you pull the power head and not replace the gasket?

Shouldn't do that. Sounds like a leak in the exhaust as it enters the leg. Did you pull the power head and not replace the gasket?

Sorry, I have to disagree. The air enters around the bottom of the lower cowling. If it is sitting in a bowl of smoke (barrel), it is going to breath it.

You don't have to be sorry, your entitled to your opinion and you might be right. Still don't know if the head was pulled, how long it was rev'd in the barrel, or how the barrel was setup. I would think if it was in a "bowl of smoke" that problem would have been obvious. Just take it to the lake and if the problem continues, he can just pull the cowling to get home.

Most good work shops have an exhaust fan on their 400 gallon " barrel " that is to make sure the motors run on clean air.---Saves a lot of wasted time looking for problems !!

I'm wondering if the original poster "fishingfishpoo" will respond to all this sage advice since it appears that the original post is dated 07-04-2011.

Back