Logo

Racor questions

bobct

Advanced Contributor
I installed Racors toward the end of last year and have a couple of questions:

1) Is it obvious when draining if it's water? I cracked the drain plug but only after a few hours of running and it looked like gas pouring out. I'm not sure what the best procedure is or really what I'm looking for.

2) Appox how long do you guys run before replacing the filter?

thanks,
Bob

Bob, best procedure IMO, is to warm engines prior so that they'll restart easily on a partially empty cartridge.

1. Yes...., you will see both gasoline and water if water is present... but any water should be recognizable.
In theory, the water will come out first due to the difference in gravity. What I do is catch mine in a small bowl..... let it sit.... then look at it. Pretty easy to see if water is present!

2. Tough to say. All depends on your fuel quality. As a general rule, use the same interval as you did with the standard filters, although the RACOR cartridge media capacity is a tad bit greater.

You'll like having a fuel/water separating system that does not rely on absorption alone.

Note that the all metal bowl w/ brass plug must be used for I/B's.
(the clear plastic bowls are for an O/B installation)

I agree 100% with Rick; mine go 2 years on the replacement cycle. However, if you do have a BIG slug of water at some point, these filters, made of steel, will rust on the inside.

Back