Logo

89' 2755 Bayliner won't plane ....Suggestions?? Timing for 351 Windsor

Jay Nicholls

I have a 1989 Bayliner 2755 Cierra Sunbridge with a single 352 Windsor. Engine runs well, but can't get it up on a plane. I'm thinking my timing is off. Anyone know the correct timing for this engine? Any other advice?

Thanks,
Jay

Jay, see this recent thread.
http://www.marineengine.com/boat-fo...-Timing-for-a-351-windsor&p=341809#post341809
This won't let you off the hook for other items to check, but should help with your ignition timing question.

Also, your 1989 Bayliner will be an OMC boat. So make sure that you are not having an issue with the ESA.

Other items:
Engine in full tune.. including a good working ESA
Fuel delivery system clean
Drive ratio correct for the engine
Correct and undamaged propeller
Hull and drive clean
Etc.

Last edited:
Boat has a freshly painted bottom. Propeller is in excellent condition and it is the factory recommended pitch. Fresh fuel AND filter.
I have NO idea what an ESA is.
My car mechanic has tuned it , but says marine engines timing is usually different from automotive and wanted to know the timing, so he could check it, hence this post.
Thanks for your input.

Other suggestions welcomed!

Jay

1. I have NO idea what an ESA is.
  2. My car mechanic has tuned it , but says marine engines timing is usually different from automotive and wanted to know the timing, so he could check it, hence this post.
Thanks for your input.

Other suggestions welcomed!

Jay

1. ESA is OMC's "electronic shift assist". The system momentarily lowers RPM for shifts from gear, back into Neutral. Merc's similar A drive system is an SA.... (shift assist). If/when out of adjustment, it can play heck with an ignition system.
  2. No offense to your auto mechanic, but I'd suggest that you use caution when allowing an automotive mechanic to tune and set ignition timing for Marine use. The specs are considerably different, and for considerable load differences. To be safe, we must always not only set BASE, but concern ourselves with TA (total advance). A gasoline Marine engine can NOT handle a curve or TA used for automotive specs.
Hope that helps. :)

Back