Logo

Starting Issue. Unhooking the fuel line on a Mercury 75hp outboard

hagadonecp

I recently purchased a 1969 16ft Starcraft boat. It came with a 75hp 2 stroke Outboard. I believe that it's a 1986. The first time I had it out I trailer it for about 30 minutes to the lake. We spent an hour trying to start the motor. It had gas running out of the motor and down the shaft into the water. We ended up getting it started in about an hour. It had recently had a tune up and ran fine during that time. I had a friend tell me that he uses to have to unhook his gas line from the engine when tailoring it because the pressure in the gas tanks would push gas into the engine and flood it. Since then I have unhooked it each time and it still takes about 10 minutes to get it started each time. Once it does it runs fine. I just don’t seem to get gas. I pump the bulb and use the choke a little to get it started. I am worried about flooding it. 10 minutes is better than an hour, but I’m worried about burning out the starter. Should I be unhooking the Gas line? Should I just loosen the cap on the Gas can to ensure the pressure doesn't build up? I can not guarantee that the vent valve on the gas tank was opened the first time, just worried about trying it again. It's my first boat and could use some suggestions.

Move throttle only lever up ----------------------Hold choke " ON ALL THE TIME " while cranking.------------------When putting boat on trailer disconnect fuel line and let motor run till carburetors are empty, then you will have no problems with flooding !!----------Those starters are easily damaged by excessive cranking.--------------Motor should start right up , if not find out what is wrong !!

I have no idea what the issue was. I didn't have a chance to try your method. I went out the other day and hooked the boat up to ear muffs to see if i could find a rattle that was coming from the motor (ended up being loose bolts on the Flywheel) and to run some Seafoam through it to clean the carbs. For some reason the Boat started up without the choke on and just 3 turns of the key. Have no idea, why all of the sudden. I took it to the lake to try it out yesterday and the dam thing started with 4 turns of the key and throttle. I have no idea why, but it's starting now.

Take racerone's advice and run it out of fuel when you're done. Not only do I respect his opinion from past help, but I need to do that with my motor every time. Without doing that, the ethanol in the fuel swells my carb needle rubber tips and the needle sticks in the up/closed position. If not doing that, within less than a week, my needles are stuck and I have to take off the carbs. Doing this proceedure has allowed me to never remove the carbs since making it my practice.

My initial starting proceedure is as follows, connect the fuel line, open the vent, pump the ball about 20 times or till it starts to feel hard, hold down the electric choke, put the fast idle to 55%, starts first time! Mine takes a long crank of about 10 seconds the first time to get the fuel up in there, then its running. Once warmed up and out on the lake, restart by putting the fast idle at 55% and just blip the key and its fire in the hole every time!

Last edited:
Back