Logo

'79/'80 larson manta 185hp 305 v8 tilt motor runs but not making contact to??? to raise or lower

imbikin2002

Hi all. Newbie to this site. Hope someone can help me. Just got boat back from shop and tilt does not work. Worked before went in, but that's neither here nor there now. Motor runs in raise or lower switch position but nothing happening. Is there a pin or what connects motor to whatever ???? to raise and lower? Did something break or become disconnected? Does the hsg cover come off without pieces and parts falling out? Hope you can help. Thanks

You mean you had your boat in the shop to get worked on? If so and the tilt worked then, and now it doesn't, yes it does mean something. First I would take it back and have them deal with it if they indeed did work on your rig. Maybe they disconnected something and forgot to reconnect it before you picked it up? I'd make the shop find the fix before going any further.

Along these lines my old '78 OMC 225 had a male/female connection (black in color) that came loose over time which caused my tilt to not work. I simply disconnected it, reconnected it and my tilt started working again. I did not know about this particular connection until after I spent hours tracing wires myself.

389507363.jpg

No I don't blame the shop. It is something that probably just happened. When working, it goes up and down really fast. I am thinking something may have broken while they were launching or loading it though. The motor runs fine. It doesn't appear to be an electrical problem. I had my son operate the switch while I was by the lower unit with my hand by the housing aid can hear and feel movement. Its like something is not connected or may be broken.

in the horizontal shaft that connects the hammer blow coupling to the worm gear that operates the tlt, there are 2 sacrificial roll pins - probably broke them. replacement shaft and pins is $12 or so
they break often if the drive slams down hard a few times
T-22040-tilt-shaft.jpg

to get the shaft out, remove the triangular cover off the rear of your clutch area, then pull the clutch and hit the brass gear about the 10 oclock position on the angle as shown with a soft punch or wood dowel. that will pop the disc out the back (red circle) and roll the worm gear back so you can pull the brass gear out and then the shaft will come out -then the worm gear can come out- try to find the crunchy roll pin bits - they are hardened and can cause issues if left behind
keep track of all washers, nylon washers and other parts as they come out- put them all back same
attachment.php

Last edited:
Thank you hystat! Lol I did witness the guys younger son in-law letting the unit ram up and down last year when I had them work on it and I imagine they did the same thing this time too. I cringed last year!! I will try that and will post the results or if I need more help.

I guess as long as I am working on it maybe you can offer me some other info. The trim also is inop. It wants to go but seems like it is binding??? If you flip that switch it will try to turn itself a fraction but stops. Is the weight of the front of the engine on the trim motor itself? Do I need to block up the bracket to the lower bracket to remove the trim motor? Thanks for your knowledge.

Ok got it apart and the pins are ok. Is the other end of the shaft possibly broken or the tilt motor end?? Should the shaft just pull out?? Is not unles I have to force it???

Ok I got the shaft out. The tabs on the slotted end are broken. New shaft and what do I do about the broken pieces?? Do I have to remove tilt motor to get to them???

The pieces are available on ebay right now.

The hammer blow coupler is still good?

Maybe you can flush out the pieces without removing the tilt motor thats a mother.

Well, got it going. As luck would have it one of our local marine dealers used to be an omc dealer and had the parts in stock. Price was higher than expected but I was happy to get it and fix it. Had to take tilt motor out to get the broken tabs from the shaft out. That was fun. Lol! Thanks for the info! It made the job easier than going in blind.

Back