Logo

Low oil pressure, advise needed asap PLEASE

damroc

Hi all, i have a 1999 SEARAY 215ec with a 5.0 thunderbolt carb mercruiser engine. I just started getting ready for the new season and have came across a problem which concerns me somewhat. I started the boat today in my driveway on the mufflers and starts and runs grand, after a short while with the temp a little on the high side (170dgs). I noticed the oil pressure was down to 0. I shut off the engine and decided to check the oil sender unit, i removed the plug and grounded the blue wire sending the oil pressure gauge to the top so all seemed tobe grand, after a little further investigation i found somebody in their wisdom has removed the wires from the oil pressure switch beside the oil pressure sender unit and joined the purple and yellow/brown wire together bypassing the oil pressure switch which in turn does not sound the alarm. I have checked the oil level and quality of the oil and can confirm their is no sign of of any mental fragments and no big end noise while the engine is running. I know this repair was carried out along time ago as i have had the boat since 2008. It has been a very good boat and has never let me down but im wondering if this switch is prone to failing often or is there any method i can do to check the true oil pressure in the engine. Sorry abou the long post but i have searched my sites and forums but cannot seem to locate any accurate information dealing with this problem.

Many Thanks

Damien

UPDATE: i removed both sender and switch at the block and connected the oil pressure tester and hey presto i have between 40 to 50psi on tickover and rising by between 10-15 psi at 2500 rpm. How relieved am i ! many thanks all. Damien

Back