Logo

Oil pressure loss, smoke in engine compartment but can't find anything wrong! Yanmar1G

orchardmike

My little Yanmar gave me a scare today. On starting the oil warning light and alarm did not extinguish and when I stopped the engine the engine compartment was filled with smoke. After a brief scope of all the things I could think of that might be wrong I called the engineer. When he came he turned the engine and it started perfectly.

Embarrassing! But is it a one-off or a harbinger of trouble to come?

Has anyone any ideas about what might have happened and will it happen again and how soon?

It probably 'back-kicked' and started the wrong way!!!
This will make the intake valve exhaust and all exhaust goes into the engine room.
Oil pump will not work.

I must say that sounds entirely plausible. If I went on to say that what I was doing at the time the screaming of the oil alarm alerted me to problems was leaning over the back of the boat looking for water coming out of the exhaust - but not as I recall seeing it! -Does this fit your hypothesis? The water pump presumably would be working backwards. Can I expect any damage? What about the alternator - which seemed to be charging?

The only damage that may occur is that if water in the exhaust system, it may be sucked into the engine. But as you say, when impeller pump is rotating wrong way -no water!
The alternator may run any way of rotation without problem. The only difference between a clock-wise and anti clock-wise rotating alternator is the cooling fan in front.
I have seen this kick-backing several times and mostly related to low cranking speed and 1-cyl engines.
Check battery charge, connections and perhaps do a cleaning of the starter.

Back