Logo

Throwing Belts

TonyG

Hey guys, First post. I have a 07 5.7 GXI w/DP-A.
* A little history, motor ran great for the first season, toward the end of the second season it threw a belt under heavy throttle. After putting belt back on it stayed on under normal use. although the next time I throttled up a little agressively off comes the belt. Put the belt on and finish my season with a to do list. Over the winter lay up, replaced belt and the raw water pump and pulley, checked the tensioner, cir pump, alt and p-steering pump for bearing wobble and spin as well as alignment. All seemed fine. launched and ran nice for a couple of trips till one day tried to test to see if repair took. Again under heavy throttle off comes the new belt.*It seems like any thing over 3800-4000 rpms will send the belt flying.
Any thoughts ?
Thanks
Tony G.

Nothing?????? Oh Well.
Funny I googled volvo penta throwing belts and got a few hits I thought this might be a common problem.

Thanks Guys.

UPDATE: Well, had a good buddy come down to the boat a couple of weeks ago to take a look at my motor. The belt had been getting a little noisey and was shedding a lot of black belt dust (a sure sign something not right), so he comes down for a look.
The noises where getting so bad that I started wondering if I might have a bad pump or pulley or something. But he was able to put those fears to rest within seconds of arriving, he used a tire pencil to mark the belt and after applying it, no noise. So just belt noises (good news), next he notices that the power steering pump pulley is just a little off of being perfectly aligned. So he breaks out his special pulley puller, and in no time has better alignment. Nice, then checks and find a few loose bolts on the front of the motor (mostly bracket bolts) and finds one stripped (from the factory).
After correcting all the bolt and bracket issues, his spots a little eccentric movement in the water pump pulley. Pull the pulley off the pump, pump is fine true and with no bearing play. So it's a pulley (one of the few things I haven't replaced). Not sure if the out of round movement is bad enough to be causing my woes, so back on it goes. But will order new one for next maint interval.
Go tuna fishing next chance we get, Bam! shedded belt. WFT? This time no heavy throttle, just running my usual 23.5 kts @ 3200 rpm a little more and little less as sea condition dictate. When my son asks if I still have steering, cause he thought he heard something. look at the gauges, good temp, good charge on voltmeter, and good feel at the helm. I tell he nope its all's good, no worries, well a short time after that (10 mins) I start to lose a few volts and some ease at the helm. SHUT HER DOWN. open hatch shedded belt. F#$*&K. I do have spare, but R&R 10 miles offshore with a 2 ft swell, and having to be upside down to wrestle the bracket off the raw water pump is not my idea of fun. Anyway 30 mins and a couple of choice words later up and running, although no fish and a nervious and slow (15-17 kts @ 2800 rpm) ride home.
Ordering some parts, belt, water pump pulley who knows. Will post results.

P.S. F#*@K VERISON

Last edited:
Back