Logo

overheating piston damage???

Darren Hughes

after initially having no water peeing out of my 1980,7.5hp mercury,i changed impeller,still no water.then opened up the exhaust cover( sheering 2 bolts in process) on inspection found the water inlett clogged and blocked.after cleaning and degreassing the are i notice there are 6 holes.i think these are some sort of inspection holes.ican see totally smooth sphericle what i think might be the the pistons?? however through one of these holes and only through one the shiny clean piston if that is what it is, seems to have 3 paralell lines scored in to it! im begining to worry that my pistons are damaged through excessive heat.also found that there was no thermostat fitted. :confused:

You are likely looking through the exhaust ports and are indeed looking at the pistons.-------Those lines are not a good sign and your motor will run but not well.-----------------Time to tear it apart for overhaul.-----------Before you do that check the availability of parts as many new parts are now NLA as in no longer available.

Back