Logo

bad trans cooler

capemaydiamond

Contributing Member
i have a bad trans cooler on my 270 crusader and now my trans fluid is milky and coming out of the exhaust. how would i go about flushing the bad fluid from the transmission and the lines? i had this problem on the other engine and just kept putting new fluid in and then running it and then pumping it out but that method didn't work very well and i used alot of fluid. any ideas? thanks.

I never tried this, but.... If you disconnect one of the trans cooler lines and shoot the oil into a 5 gallon pail, you could dump tranny fluid in the fill hole at the same time. When the fluid coming out looks okay, shut the motor down. Gotta be less messy that way.

Jeff

Last edited:
if you have a 'normal' inline gear, you pull the return line from the cooler, at the gear. That will drain most of the gear as well as most of the cooler.
Reconnect the line and refill. Then operate until fluid warms up. best to repeat the drain and refill two more times. The reason is that you will never get all the fluid out of the "back" of the gear housing...warming it up helps to evaporate the water and the additional fluid changes remove any residue.

If you want to be thorough, you can spend a few more bucks and get an oil analysis done on the fluid after the drain/refill is done and you have a few operating hours on the fluid. That will not only give you insight into any residue that may exist but also any potential damage the water could have done.

yea i was thinking of doing the disconnected trans line method, that would allow you to just keep pumping out the bad fluid i guess. i just don't wanna kill my trans running contaminated fluid because i recently replaced the motors and all running gear and that would suck to have to take it all apart again.

Okay. Suck out what you can (with an oil changer rig), refill with fresh fluid, them try my line removed trick.

Jeff

Back