Logo

2008 Yamaha 60hp no juice to starter or fuel pump

pescadito

I have been getting ready to fish and have been starting my motor for the past 4 days. This morning, right before I was going to launch, I tried to start it...and, no click, no slight beep of the fuel pump, and no start.

I turn the key and, nothing. Battery is completely charged. Checked all the fuses on top(the three inline, up near the flywheel. This is a tiller model. Also the trim button on the tiller no longer is working. The one on the upper shaft area IS. I'm stumped. Any ideas?

Also, I put a meter on the harness that leads to the starter. Put the positive and negative on the posts of the battery (12.65) then tried the other end where it connects to the starter/solenoid. When I put the leads on the positive and the body of the starter it reads 12.65, yet when I put the positive with the negative on the negative post of starter solenoid, it reads 0.00 (with or without the key on)

Seems like I have an electrical problem I can't diagnose. Would there be any other fuses I might be missing(I also checked the fuse near the starter)????

Thanks for any input

pescadito

Last edited:
I bet you it thinks that it's in gear. Play with the controller and try it again. Here is the best way to check it: Put one lead of the meter to ground and the other to the small terminal on the starter selenoid. Get someone to crank it. If you get 12V there then the starter selenoid is bad. If you don't get 12V there then check the neutral switch inside the controller. GL

Back