Logo

Spun Prop on 1960 40Horse Super Seahorse

dflynnatc

Perhaps I had this in the wrong part of the forum... re-posting.
With help of current and archived threads,and parts and schmatics from Marine Engine.com, neighbor and I have rebuilt lower unit, water jacket, carb, ignition, seals, etc etc etc. Tuned and solved many issues on our way to sea trials. Made it to the Schuylkill River as it enters Valley Forge National Park.... very cool. BUT.... at high speed, engine "ran away", adjusted trim, "ran away" again. Pulled back and back in garage found that we had "spun" the 51 year old prop on it's rubber innard. Searches at ME.com and iBoat and other sites yield no quick solution to hub repair or new prop. Ebay has a couple of props that are from my engine, but my assumption is that that rubber hub is going to be dry rotted as well. Searches here in forums haven't yielded any helpful info so far. If you are so inclined, could you spare some advice on fixing the current one, or replacing it instead. If replacement.... just go same, or is there a better suited alternative today?​

If you take it to a decent prop shop they will rehub it.Or you can do what I did about ayear ago and do an emergency repair with epoxy resin.Still going strong.

Back