Logo

looking for email addresses at tohatsu america corp

gharris123

I just bought a 3.5 tohatsu online and it has very serious problems- milky oil after 2 days- probably a manufacturing defect- anyway I intend to follow up with onlineoutboards.com and in order to have a trail or communication other than phone calls- I intend to do all communication by email and to cc the CEO of tohatsu america corp (Hiroshi Wakabayashi) and the president of onlineoutboards (CWS/Outboard Sales Cookeville TN) both of their websites are very opaque and do not list email addresses other than "info@" or "sales@" not a good sign.
Is anyone on this forum able to help me with email addresses at either of these companies?
if so please email me [email protected]... and probably do the forum a favor and post as well
these people need to be held accountable
thanks

Milky oil is contaminated. Possibly with water, possibly from blowby. Change it. A couple of times, until it comes out clear. Be 100% sure it's not overfilled. What is your so-called internet dealer doing to help you? Have you called them to ask their advice? You can call Tohatsu America at 214-420-6440, and they will be able to help you... and while you have them on the line, ask about an email address for service.

Last edited:
yes, I know it's contaminated- i gave them the benefit of the doubt and changed out both the fuel and the oil- engine will barely start and runs haltingly- has less than an hour on it and the oil takes about 2 days to foul- I might have tried to work out possible fuel problems etc but the oil deal is too scary- i am convinced this engine has manufacturing defects that weren't picked up in QC- I am sending onlineoutboards.com an email requesting they send me a new engine and take back the one they sent me. That's why I want to CC the CEO of tohatsu america on my correspondence- they are certain to tell me to take it to an authorized dealer but the point i want to make with them is that i paid for a new engine and expect to get what i paid for not an engine that's DOA and then have the grief of paying for their mistakes with my time and money-
i ain't no mechanic but i know one thing nobody wants to see in any crankcase of any engine of any age and any kind is contaminated oil

All manufacturers handle problems the same way....Through their dealer network. So, if you want this to be resolved quickly, you need to take the engine into a dealer for a warranty evaluation. Anything other than that will only increase the time you spend on the dock watching other people having fun on the water. You need to understand that everyone who has a problem with an outboard thinks that there engine is defective, that the manufacturer is at fault and that they could not have possibly caused the problem themselves. Reality is that consumers are usually responsible for any problem that occurs. Not always, but at least 90% of the time. Contaminated oil might very well be caused by a defective gasket or seal...Or you might be a complete idiot who dropped his engine into the water and is lying about it. I've seen cases of both over the years. The point is that you need to clam down and approach this from a realistic position. You have a warranty that provides you remedy. You do not have a guarantee that you will never have a problem. So:

1) Take the engine into a dealer for a warranty determination.
2) If there is a problem(probably is as I don't think you are are idiot), let them determine what the problem actually is and correct it.
3) If you do not like the way they are going to correct it, call Tohatsu and call OnlineOB and tell them X( X being whatever YOU think should be done given the circumstances)
4) Then and only then should you go off into a rant like this, "these people need to be held accountable".

i don't want to get in a fight with the list, i am just trying to find out a few email addressed if anyone has them- both websites are opaque with blind customer contact forms. as for the rant i haven't sent them an email yet and the language will not be at all confrontational- i do not need to calm down however i paid full price for a new engine and have every reason to expect that i should get what i paid for.

And I do not think that that you are unreasonable in expecting to get what you paid for. My point was/is/will be that it is unreasonable to to take the position that you:

A: That you are due a new engine at this point.

B: That anyone has not treated you fairly or " needs to be held accountable".

Given that you have a problem with the engine, you have to abide by the terms of the warranty in order to get warranty. I guess what I am trying to get across to you is that you are taking a premature stance as to what you are owed and how to go about getting what you are owed. Frankly it would be a waste of your time, Hiroshi's time and Chris's(OnlinesOB) time to make this into something bigger than it is. You have a new engine with a problem. Just take it into a dealer, let them look at it and determine where the problem lies and then let them take care of it for you. If you really want to take this to a higher level off the bat, I'll be happy to do that for you. I just need you to email me your serial number, name and telephone number. But, I can tell you upfront, until you take it into a dealer you will be looked at as someone claiming to have a problem, not someone who has a problem. Big difference when it comes to warranty enforcement.

Good reasons to go to your local dealer when you buy a product.----------------------Service is what counts.----------------Most local dealers help those that talk reasonably.

Ditto, but as an internet whore I don't think that a dealer should treat an engine purchased elsewhere as something bad. A local customer lost is a local customer that choose to buy elsewhere because....Said local dealer did not earn the customers business. That could be a price issue, but I find that it is usually an attitude issue....Sometimes both:) Occaionaly it is the old "I ddin't know you guys were dealers" problem. I've been stung by that one for 47 years:)

Ditto, but as an internet whore I don't think that a dealer should treat an engine purchased elsewhere as something bad. A local customer lost is a local customer that choose to buy elsewhere because....Said local dealer did not earn the customers business. That could be a price issue, but I find that it is usually an attitude issue....Sometimes both:) Occaionaly it is the old "I ddin't know you guys were dealers" problem. I've been stung by that one for 47 years:)

Yes indeed. Many of our service customers bought online. About half of those are DIY folks (getting only parts/advice from us), and the rest are full-service, having us turn the wrenches. Many have noted, "I didn't know you guys were dealers..." Regardless, they are our local customers.

Back