Logo

Throttle Body starting problem

230ssi

I have a 2001 5.7L Mercruiser with throttle body injection. The motor starts fine when cold. After it is at running temp and we stop for lunch when you go to start it one of the injectors sprays so much gas that the motor will not start. I need to unplug that injector and it will start on one and then I plug the other one back on. It runs great after you get it started. I had the injectors cleaned by a injector company but the problem is still there. Any ideas?

How can you tell that one injector is spraying more than the other? Is it spraying for a longer time than the other or seems to be spraying more volume for the same amount of time as the other?

One injector sprays like you are at full throttle. It does this as soon as you turn on the key and doesn't stop until you turn the key off. But only when the motor is warm. The other one doesn't spray anything until you try and start the motor.

That's what I thought so I had them cleaned and checked. I just took the boat to church and after setting for 75 minutes it started but not as fast as it should.

Can you switch the electric connectors on the injectors to see if the spray pattern stays w/the injector?

Back