Logo

New Tohatsu

jclays

Regular Contributor
Just picked up my new 6hp Tohatsu outboard. What engine oil do you recommend? The dealer told me any good name brand 10-40 motor such as Valvoline or Pennzoil. Would be fine. Ive always use Castrol GTX. Any feed back on this?
Thanks
Jim

Sounds like your dealer is inexperienced and has never sold a four-stroke outboard before...What does your owners manual say to use?

Elvin is correct. Check your owner's manual. Brand is unimportant; specifications are everything. You need to use oil that is rated FC-W. That oil has more corrosion inhibitors, which is needed in the marine environment. As for viscosity, 10w-30 is fine, especially during break-in. 10w-40 would be OK if you are running in tropical temperatures. And never run any synthetic oil.

The dealer is also a marine service center for Tohatsu. The manual says to use a 4 stoke oil that is rated SF,SG, or SJ. or I can use a certified 4-stroke outboard oil that is FC-W rated. Castrol is SJ rated. I put in the Castrol yesterday and ran her at less than 1/2 throttle for about 2hrs. Think I should change the oil?

Read the manual again. Page 15 if you have a 6B model. The oil must be FC-W rated. I have never seen any FC-W rated oil that was not at least API-rated SF. Does your castrol oil carry a FC-W rating? If not, change to an oil that does. And again... do not run synthetic oil. Otherwise, wait until the 10-hour break-in oil change.

Last edited:
Back