Logo

Chrysler Outboard 1979>115 hp specs

hotrod1969

I need help I have bought a pontoon boat with a 1979 chrysler out board 115 hp and I can not get it running, It will crank all day long and back fire from time to time but that is it, It is getting fuel,has spark and the compresson check showed 110 on each cylinder. The previous owner put in a set of spark plugs that are champion L 20v. So please help I'm lost.

Last edited:
You will need to check the belt timing on the distributor and also make sure the plug leads are on the right plugs...

The correct spark plugs for that engine are Champion L82C.
Distributor belt timing. Remove all the plugs, rotate flywheel till the top piston is at about TDC, then look at the timing marks and timing pointer (above the carbs) rotate flywheel till the TDC marks align, you shouldnt need to move it far. Then look at the distributor pulley, there will be an arc and a mark that disects it. The arc needs to follow the curve of the flywheel, and the mark should point to the crankshaft.
Plug wire position should be embossed on the distributor cap, you may need a flashlight to help see the numbers.

ok the spark plug wires were wrong as well as the spark plugs, So I fix all that. I check the timing marks are good, But I did clean out the fuel filter and got a book and check the fuel lines according to the book and now she tries to start but that is it. What Im I missing??????????

It sounds like you are on the right track... Advance the throttle slightly and push the choke, make sure the choke shutters close fully...
If it still wont start, you will need to remove, strip and clean the carbs...
Also dont forget to change your gear oil and water pump once you know she will run...

Since it has backfired check the fuel pump diaphram.Then check the flywheel keyway.It could have sheared.Fill out the profile,you might be close to someone who can help.J

well I rebuilt the carbs and Advance the throttle slightly and push the choke the engine ran for about 30 sec then shut off and wont restart, I was told it might be the cd and coil going bad,and I have notice while cranking that the tach is not moving. I was also told that a car coil will work well in its place. need more help. Thank you.

ok Im confuse again, I have a 2 stroke 4 cyl Chrysler engine that was built in 1979 and is a 115 hp does this motor have points? and were is the kill switch and how do I check it and the cd unit to see if that is the problem?

Ok... If that motor will run for 30 seconds its more likely to be a fuel problem.... But still check the spark...
Run the engine for that 30 seconds or however long it takes to stop, then at that point, recheck the spark...
You can also try pumping the primer bulb while it is running... If it continues to run, then you most likely have a fuel pump problem...
That motor does not have points, or a kill switch....

Back