Logo

HELP! Force 50hp overheating!

jonesin

So here's what I have going on and I would really appreciate some advice! The motor is overheating. Took it out on the water and had a mist from the tell tale thought I was good to go... took it up river a bit and only hot steam from the exhaust holes and BUZZZZZZ!!!! Brought it home and pulled the plugs, do not see any water so hoping the head is ok. Pulled the lower unit off and removed the thermostat. Everything looks just like it did the day i installed it. Took the water hose and forced water through the cooling tube and came out of the thermostat fine. So I am assuming that means there is no blockage in the cooling system. Could I be wrong? I have considered taking off the exhaust port plate and checking for clogs, debris, sand, etc. however I cannot get it off. The screws are too long and I cannot get the powerhead off. Does any one know how to do this? To me it just sounds like the pump is still not working. What do I do? Please help!!!

We commonly find head gaskets causing these issues on these engines... Rarely exhaust plates...
Check your compression before you pull the head also...

in working on a 76 --55 hp as we speak with a cooling problem sometime it blows well and then it drys up and moter starts to over heat.Onething i would recommend is don't start pulling parts off your moter because they are diffulcult to replace if they break.I removed the foot and impeller was damage one of the 6 vanes was broken and the others the tips were at 45 but it was making good contack with the outside that was pitied(coroded) badly and the broken vane was located--- im in the process of locating these parts here in jax fla ALso i rebuilt the carb a tillotson with a 20$ kit from napa the float seat and valve were bad it would run but would starv for fuel from time to time this was a huge inprovement.Its not much of an engine but it sure is simple to work on to remove clean and replace parts and install about an hour on the carb,ajustment on the carb was about 1 1\4 and it purs nicely after the impeller will be the fuel pump napa 20 bucks and i should be good to go. I have run about 35-40 gallon of fuel threw this moter running up and down the rivers of north fla over the last month. IM going to use this moter on a weekly bases and plan to get several years of use out of it.I will baby the moter rarely above 1/2 are 3/4 trottle and plenty of oil in the gas.I will share all that i do with you all and fil free to responed

So here's what I have going on and I would really appreciate some advice! The motor is overheating. Took it out on the water and had a mist from the tell tale thought I was good to go... took it up river a bit and only hot steam from the exhaust holes and BUZZZZZZ!!!! Brought it home and pulled the plugs, do not see any water so hoping the head is ok. Pulled the lower unit off and removed the thermostat. Everything looks just like it did the day i installed it. Took the water hose and forced water through the cooling tube and came out of the thermostat fine. So I am assuming that means there is no blockage in the cooling system. Could I be wrong? I have considered taking off the exhaust port plate and checking for clogs, debris, sand, etc. however I cannot get it off. The screws are too long and I cannot get the powerhead off. Does any one know how to do this? To me it just sounds like the pump is still not working. What do I do? Please help!!!
this is the way it should pump and run after new impeller and carb rebuild
http://youtu.be/h6fQEgnIPvw

need help---- after replacing the impeller it pump exellent in a barrel but on the water soon as i get on plane it drys up--- tied the boat off in gear went from idle to almost full throtle pumps exellent took the water line off that runs to the head (thermastat housing)pumps exellent on plane-- put the water line on pumps exellent put boat on plane no water coming out back --motor head get very hot to touch im being carful not to damage it --- some say its the head gasket,-- I did not have this issue until i replaced the old impeller see above

Last edited:
Year and model#???
Post pics of the old parts.Pump housing etc.
If it's put back together right and the parts are good.Then there could be a clog in the hoses/lines/tubes.

76 55hp in the utube video above I replace old 6 vane with a 10 vane which pump exellent as you can see when put it on a plane it would dry up--- I came 15 seconds from burning the motor up it would burn your skin at the touch after study the motor for a week i desided to remove the foot for inspection hoping to fine the problem the housing some what pitied and the impeller look new just as when i put it in there. I went to the merc dealer and he said its most likly in the headgasit for they are know for this and knowing ful well this was not going to help i purchace for 15$ a 6 vane impeller which is in there now .I spent an hour on the water thursday and the water outlet that is exposed that you see water flowing out in the video --drys up as soon as the boat is on plane--- is this normal --as i said above I remove the hose that runs to the thermostat-- an on a plane it shoots out about 6 inches from the thermo side and about a 12 inches from the other-- i will keep playing with it .Some say don't worry about what comes out the back put a buzzer are temp gauge on it . with this impeller change out it seems betteri ---I'l fugure it out and post my findings it is just some stupid thing --------One thing for sure I will get it straight

Last edited:
Back