Logo

Paragon reverse gear help

paycojoe

Hello to all i hope everybody is well and feet wet.

I am now in the process of pulling both of my 178 frieballs from mr 62 Trojan to replace , timing sets seal's and gasket's I have ran into a snag....the Paragon reverse gear will only separate about 5/16ths from the block.

I have been rushed into this job with out the proper Manuals and time!
I was a A&P Airframe and Powerplant Mec, so i can do the joe i just need some help with this little snag.

Thank you all so much for your time stay safe out there

Gerald

Trying to bring my boat home

Hello and thank you for your response.
The paragon i am trying to remove is on a engine that is running and was full of oil, and absolutely sealed, could rust still be a factor?
Also i can only separate the cases about 3/8" maybe a little less on top,
At any rate if this is a problem that you have seen and or have experienced your self, I do apologise for questioning.

I am a fair wrench my self ex A & P mechanic new to the "marine engine" i have now owned this sweet lady for just over three years, we have put in some miles together.
This would be so much better if i had the book, the tech, manual i have has one little paragraph on the paragon, and the rest of the book shows in great detail how to rebuild the warrner Thans.

Thank you for your help and time Sir

Gerald

The splines on the input shaft are not sealed and are open to what ever moisture and dirt are in your bilge. You may need to block up the engine and run it while prying on the transmission to remove it from the coupler. Have someone at the ignition switch while you do this.

Back