Logo

Engine knock in 225

Bummer! Look forward to hearing the outcome. Be sure to take it easy on the new engine for the first 30 hours or so. I think the recommendation is to not exceed 5000 rpm.

Chawk

Thanks for the info on break in. I will follow the prescribed method to the letter, I rarely run anything mechanical wide open for more than a minute or two at a time even when fully run in. I have heard people on these forums say you can run a honda at wot for long periods but in my experience every engine has a life span based on fuel put through the engine and if you put more fuel through, the life span is shorter.

I would really like to have it broken in properly so everything is well seated and sealed. I'll keep you posted and thanks again for the help.

Hondatic - One of the very good pieces of advice I received from my dealer where I bought my 225 was to run the engine as much as possible at WOT for the next 200 hours or so after breakin. That greatly helps to seal the rings and seat the bearings and actually makes the engine more efficient over time. I had been babying the engine after the breakin, and the dealer noted from the HDS that I only had a little over an hour at WOT and there were traces of gas in the oil. That's when he told me that I needed to run the engine harder. I have 1050 hours on my engine now and it is running better than ever. In my personal opinion, it's not how many hours you put on an engine, or how much gas you run through it, but the consistency of operation. I've seem old two-stroke Johnsons and Evinrudes used by commercial fishermen with 10,000 hours or more on them, but they are used almost every day. The Coast Guard folks will put many thousands of hours on the bigger Hondas before changing them out. The worst thing you can do to an outboard is to lay it up for long periods of time.

Back