Logo

Motor Runs great bogs down under load.

vinnie4646

I have a 1989 Capri Bayliner with a 1989 Force 125. The motor starts in about 1/2 a turn, it runs perfectly at idle. It will shift into gear but bogs down when it is under a load. It will not get past 2000 rpm's. Here are the things ive done so far. 1. cleaned carbs with cleaner and air pressure. 2x's. made sure needle was falling when float comes down 2. Drained all old gas out, put in new gas, new oil mixture 50:1. 3. new gas lines and pump ball, what else can i check before i take it to a mechanic.

First make sure you have spark !!check specs for how far spark should jump with spark tester.my 185 jumps 7/16 of inch, check the fuel pump!! Does the pump ball get hard after pumping?If not then the problem is between pump ball and carbs.

ciscokid what do you mean by get hard...I have the same problem with my motor. When I pump the ball it stays sucked for a little bit then sometimes it feels full of gas other times it doesn't.

Ok,if it has pressure and feels full of gas and it does not hold the pressure then somewhere in fuel system is not holding pressure.when you pump it up,how long does it take to loose pressure?When engine i idling,look at fuel filter and see if it is keeping enough fuel in it.if pump ball does not open back up after you let go of rite away replace it!!

no spark at #2 and #4 plug, also #2 and #4 plugs dry as a bone, compared to # 1 and #3 plug.. does the trigger actuate the cdi moduules or do i have 2 bad cdi's no fire coming from the bottom side.

Last edited:
The trigger sends a sidnal to the CDI, telling it when to fire... If it doesnt get a signal, it wont fire...
It sounds like a trigger problem to me... Those triggers usually have 2 sensors in them, and they fire 2 plugs for each sensor...
Check trigger with and ohm meter and also DVA tester....

I checked out the trigger with a homemade dva adaptor, capacitor and diode, found on this site. The adaptor works great! Only thing is it told me i need to buy a trigger no fire on 2 and 4. That spells $$$. Ordered new one for 225.00 local boat repair shop. Helping to keep the local economy stimulated. Not a bad price either. Will install this weekend. and let everyone know how it works out. Thanks again to all the People Helping People on thes forums.

or you can,
Dont need one, just hook digital multitmeter up on AC volts and multiply results by 1.41 to get DVA volts.
clear.gif
clear.gif
found this on another forum.

Well installed new trigger. I have spark on all 4 cylinders, but it is very very weak. Still cant get out of the hole, lol, on plane. Only about 1500 RPM same rpoble bogs down, but gets 4500 rpm in reverse???? Still looking for a cure. Stator next? Going tomorrow to do a compression test.

4500 rpm in reverse.... something really isnt right here....
I can only assume that that engine speed in reverse is on the muffs and not in the water under load.. Unless you got a real pointy rear end on that boat..lol..
You really shouldnt run that engine at any more than 2500 rpm if its not under load...
Check your compression first... This is critical here...
These engines can sometimes show a weak spark at cranking speed, yet function just fine at speed...
Also ensure that your carbs are opening at the correct time...

Well bad news. Finally able to have time to dig into motor. Found loss of compression. Hole in #2 piston, and severly scored #4 cylinder. Need pwerhead, rebuild or better yet newer motor. Thanks to all that responded what a great help.

Back