Logo

1996 yamaha 115 two stroke is hard starting

D

Dale Wellbrock

" Hello! I am looking for hel

" Hello! I am looking for help. My yamha 1996 115 v-4 is having a very hard time starting this year. I have to crank it for at least 5 minutes or until my battery goes dead and hopefully it will start. If it does start then it will continue to start right up as long as I start it up every 15 to 30 minutes. If I let it go for 2 hours or more then I am back to cranking for what seems forever. I have a yamaha 9.9 four stroke that uses the same gas tank and it starts just fine. I know I am getting spark to the plugs and if I spray some fogging oil in the cylinders it will start right up until the fuel in the cylinders is used up. I did bring it to a shop to get it looked at and the technician told me it was an inherant yamaha problem where I have to pull the manual choke to start it, but I have and it still takes forever to start it. I am just not satisfied that I should have to crank it for so long. I have been around outboards for most of my life so I know how a motor should start. I am just asking for some advice if anybody has any. Thanks! "

"Dale,

I have had this prob

"Dale,

I have had this problem with a few Yamahas. I think it is caused by low vacuum, which does not enable the engine to draw enough fuel to start. This problem seems to start with engines as they begin to wear with age.

The choke system needs good vacuum to work properly.

I have replaced the Yamaha system with the choke that is used on Johnson and Evinrude engines quite a few times. This is a valve that draws fuel from the pressure line to the carbs. I drilled 1/8 inch holes on the intake flanges just aft of the carbs, and installed small hose nipples there, so that when the choke is actuated a jet of fuel shoots directly into the intake reeds. I know this is a bit unconventional, but it always works. I never found another method for dealing with this problem, other than squirting some fuel into the carb bores.

I assume you have checked the carbs for blockages, as this will also cause hard starting.

"

Back