Logo

25 hp 4 stroke carb leak

01johno

1998 bigfoot --- After i cleaned the carb it runs fine, but have fuel leakage around the bottom of the rubber boot of the plunger mechinism.
the leakage only happens when i juice the throttle. Is it possible i damaged the plunger ? even though the leak is small seepage i
am afraid to run it with the cowel on.

Last edited:
Did you disassemble the carb to clean it?

Gaskets and seals don't like to be disturbed and should ALWAYS be replaced if you mess with them.

Leaking gas is never a good thing but you are probably safe to run with the cover on.

Since this model is over 10 years old I would personally be inclined to pick up a carb kit and rebuild the whole thing, especially if it's never been done before. Alternately, you could pick up the parts for the enricher and just replace that. If it's the manual system the stem that sticks out of the rubber boot is a one-piece unit with the diaphram attached (could be torn). If it's the electric version, there is an o-ring at the bottom of the solenoid that may be shot...

Did you disassemble the carb to clean it?

Gaskets and seals don't like to be disturbed and should ALWAYS be replaced if you mess with them.

Leaking gas is never a good thing but you are probably safe to run with the cover on.

Since this model is over 10 years old I would personally be inclined to pick up a carb kit and rebuild the whole thing, especially if it's never been done before. Alternately, you could pick up the parts for the enricher and just replace that. If it's the manual system the stem that sticks out of the rubber boot is a one-piece unit with the diaphram attached (could be torn). If it's the electric version, there is an o-ring at the bottom of the solenoid that may be shot...

I have ordered the gasket kit. this kit comes with rubber boot which surrounds the stem and I will replace a new plunger. When I disassembled the pump rod and the plunger I saw no diaphram and I don't see one in the manuel. Hope this will solve the problem.
Thanks for the info.

Back