Logo

steering questions with my 5hp ns5b

ok this is my first motor (ns5b) i just brought it with a mercury inflatable boat i took it out, i notice the steering was very hard the adjustment nob was stuck and it was very hard to control. so now i decided to take apart the bracket. in there there was 2 tire like rubber bushings and to metal peaces that i need to replace that had rubber on them but the rubber came off. there was no grease what so ever. there is no way to add grease to this housing. so i was wondering do i need to put grease in side the housing or its fine with just the rubber? if i should put grease why was there non in it to begin with and what type of grease should i use? thanks for your help

The friction plates do not need periodic lubrication. It's not unheard of for someone to overtighten the steering friction wing screw (it's not a steering lock), and end up with problems such as yours.

I guess he didn't want to be bothered. The Tohatsu/Nissan parts you need are: Qty 2 of 369624411M FRICTION PLATE $5.83 ea., available from any dealer, including me. Most will ship to your location.

omg it has been a mess i was calling all around for this part all day long most ppl told me they can order it but i was looking for it for tomorrow. i did find one and only one which is even more annoying but i have a different part number paul mine is 16205-1. any reason y? is that a nissan part number that u have and maybe ill have better luck with that one tomorrow?

162051 is the Mercury part number for the 369624411M. Even though it is a Tohatsu part, Mercury uses a different part number when they sell it through their dealer network.

Back