Logo

Tips for Carburetor Rebuild on Tohatsu M40D

dimeadip

I'm getting ready to do my first ever carburetor rebuild on my Tohatsu M40D. It's about 12 years old. Dies about as soon as you take the choke off under any load (ie. wet!). Any tips or tricks? How how long should I expect to take?

I turn my own wrenches on my car - oil, filters, suspension, belts, etc. I've just never had to touch the boat. ( I inherited it a couple years back and he hardly ever ran it)

My local dealer has the rebuild kit for $93. Good price?

Thanks,

Is this an outboard,or what?Just curiouse!!All carbs are pretty much the same!!Tak it apart completely and put any rubber and plastic pieces it may have to the side and soak the carb pieces in carb solvent.I use b12 chemtool on my carbs.soak it no longer 10 minutes at atime!!when you pull it out of solvent blow dry parts with an air compressor making shure you blow air into all holes you see in carb parts,The air has to come out somwhere.after you blow dry it,have a can of carb cleaner to spray it off and use little red straw to spray in holes you see.Repeat un till all passages are clean then in stall new parts and set floats according to instructions in kit.

Is this an outboard,or what?Just curiouse!!All carbs are pretty much the same!!Tak it apart completely and put any rubber and plastic pieces it may have to the side and soak the carb pieces in carb solvent.I use b12 chemtool on my carbs.soak it no longer 10 minutes at atime!!when you pull it out of solvent blow dry parts with an air compressor making shure you blow air into all holes you see in carb parts,The air has to come out somwhere.after you blow dry it,have a can of carb cleaner to spray it off and use little red straw to spray in holes you see.Repeat un till all passages are clean then in stall new parts and set floats according to instructions in kit.

Or

Do it the correct way. Dedicated carb cleaner in a five gallon can. Three hour minumum soak. It is unlikely that you will need any parts, but it wouldn't hurt anything to replace them. Do not use any mechanic in a can carb cleaner. As parts do not come with instructions you will need to have the factory service manual at hand for the correct procedures and settings.

Yes. Follow Elvin's advice to the letter. The correct carb kit is Part# 3C8871222M $103.97. Follow the instructions in your Factory service manual, Part# 003-21036-1 $44.17

Back